2001 Ford Ranger - worth fixing the AC?

Our nonprofit has a 2001 Ford Ranger (about 150K mi.) that gradually lost cooling in the A/C system after multiple refills. A reputable shop in town said it was not worth fixing A/C on this old of a truck.
Can you tell me if it’s worth fixing this truck, or should I sell it as is and put the money toward a dependable make/model?

It is impossible to for us, or that reputable shop, to make that decision for you. Get a 3 quotes to fix the AC. Compare the cheapest to the cost of a new truck (or newer used truck). Which one is higher? If the AC repair is higher (it won’t be!) then buy a newer truck. Or don’t fix the AC and just roll down the windows and sweat.

The options aren’t that complicated. If you put X dollars into repairing a truck that is only worth 2X, you still have a working truck with AC.

We don’t know your needs or your budget, only you know that.

Much depends on exactly what is leaking

An ac compressor can typically be replaced quite cheaply, while replacing an evaporator involves more work and the labor might cost more than the part

@db4690 @Mustangman in another Ask Someone thread the OP also indicated his nonprofit also has a 91 F150 with low fuel pressure and a bad starter…I’m wondering if the OP’s nonprofit actually needs both trucks or if they should pick one of them and sell the other one…(given that we know next to nothing about these trucks other than what’s wrong with them nor what they’re utilized for, I’d say keep the 01 since it’s newer…)

@Dan52 if you could come back and give us some more information, that would be great!

The 2001 Ranger failed to start (with a error code P0340 for the camshaft position sensor in the engine). When I took this to our mechanic, he said the timing chain was stretched and the engine was jumping time. The only way they could know for sure was to take the engine apart. If that was the problem, they could replace the engine and install a very similar (size, age/mileage) working engine from a certified junkyard dealer. They said the parts & labor cost would be the same as buying a similar used truck in good working condition.

I think you have the answer to what to do with the truck . If you were asking a question to start with.

Is this age/mileage truck ever worth fixing a timing issue on or worth replacing the engine? I’ve been looking, and so far, the used prices of comparable trucks are actually a little more than the repair cost of this one.

other than this issue- what is the shape of the truck? Is it rusted? Is it slipping gears? Any leaks?

I have a 99 Ranger with 230,000 miles on it, and had to replace the transmission at 200,000. Beyond that, the only problem with mine is the endless coffee stains in the light tan interior carpeting. It’s a great truck, and is running superb. I wouldn’t hesitate to fix a timing issue in mine (or the a/c for that matter.)

But we don’t know the overall condition of your specific truck, so we can’t easily make this decision for you.

I think it’s a VERY bad idea to buy another Ranger just because yours has an issue with the timing chain

The other Ranger could have gotten shoddy or no maintenance, it might have been crashed and badly repaired, the engine or transmission might be on the verge of failure, etc.

the devil you know . . . :smiling_imp:

This 2001 Ranger is automatic transmission, no slipping gears, but had a rough idle before it died. It has a error code for an EVAP system leak. It got a new alternator 6 years ago, a new PCM and Transmitter 4 &half years ago, and has a Rear main seal leaking oil.

It seems like the mechanic could have a better grasp of what to do then anyone on the web.