20002 Camry electrical problems

i have an 02 camry xle. several months ago the battery light started flashing intermittently. it got to the point that the light would stay on. i took it to one dealer and they said that the alternator belt needed tightening. the next day the light started flashing again. i took it to a second dealer that checked the alternator and the computer module that controls the alternator. they said that a wiring harness needed to be replaced. after about a thousand dollars worth of parts and labor, they gave the car back to me saying that it was okay. several days later the light started flasing again. i took it back and the dealer said that there was a technical bulletin on the alternator wiring harness and they replaced it for free. again several days after getting the car back from the dealer the battery light started flashing and it has continued to do so especially in the morning after the car has sat out all night. the lights flashes for a while and then the problem seems to lessen. when it flashes and i step on the accelerator, the lights turns off. i am at my wits end. the alternator was replaced less than a year ago and was supposedly tested at the dealer but i dont know if it was bench tested. anyone have any similar problems and suggestions as to what to do. thanks, richard at ramelan2@yahoo.com

You may have an intermittent short somewhere. Instead of replacing components, you may be better off taking the car to a shop that specializes in electrical problems. I assume there is no check engine light?

I suspect that the alternator has an intermittent problem and it just wasn’t bad during the testing. This kind of trouble can be hard to find and you are out a lot of money for this problem. I would see if you can find a used alternator from a salvage yard and have it installed or you may want to get a remanufactured unit installed. If that dosen’t solve the trouble then take it to a shop that specializes in electrical problems, like Winarth stated.