2000 Volvo S70 with 140K miles - now requires more oil

I have a 2000 Volvo S70 which I have had since 30K miles. Oil has been changed religiously with Mobile 1 around every 3.5K to 5K miles.

I now notice that after 3K miles the oil is low and requires an extra quart - is this normal with a high mileage vehicle or is there some larger problem emerging?

By the way the car is a GLT - light pressure turbo. Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Sincerely,

Mike from Houston, Texas

A quart of oil every 3,000 miles is normal. A quart every 3,000 miles with a turbo is great!

Tester

If I am interpreting your post correctly, you have to add 1 qt of oil every 3k miles.
If that is the case, that rate of consumption is entirely within normal limits, and should not be a cause for concern.

In fact, if your car was brand new and it burned 1 qt every 1k miles, that is even considered by most manufacturers to be within normal limits.
Desirable? No
Within normal limits? Yes

Count your blessings and be glad that the car did not consume any oil until it hit 140k miles.
Audi owners would be very envious.

This level of consumption is OK, but it might be better if had been taken better care of in its first 30K miles. You just don’t know.

Your car is 10 years old and has traveled 140,000 miles. It has a right to use a little more oil. I’m old myself and I find it takes more to keep me well-lubricated. Since this is New Year’s eve, I think I’ll add a quart. Happy New Year everyone.