Best of Deals Car Reviews Repair Shops Cars A-Z Radio Show

2000 Toyota Siena Van sounds like a plane taking off

The mechanic I took my car to said that I needed the following: Converter DF FED ($729.99), exhaust gasket, and two heavy duty clamps. The total for this repair was $873.68. Is this worth it? The car has about 112,000 miles and in winter the inside of the windshield is frozen solid, making defrosting about an hour or more job. Also, is it dangerous NOT to do the repair? The guys I took it to said it was safe, but I am concerned that with a hole in whatever there’s a hole in, am I getting exposed to fumes? HELP! This isn’t my primary car (except on long trips and when my daughter is home from college and takes my Honda Cvvc Hybrid!).

I’m not sure if there is a connection to the windshield getting iced up inside but if the exhaust is leaking you could be exposed potentially to carbon monoxide fumes. This stuff is odorless and colorless so you don’t mess around with it.

I’m assuming you went to an independent garage; good. Why wouldn’t this repair be worth it ? 112k is nothing and $873.68 is alot cheaper than $22k for a new Sienna or Odyssey. Chances are it will be good for another 112k and beyond. Fix the van.

Hi, Thanks…now today something new has been added to the mix. For the past few weeks the electric passenger side door has been temperamental. Sometimes it doesn’t open, other times it doesn’t completely close (causing lights to remain on, etc.). Today, after a thaw, sun out, 57 degree weather in Michigan in December, the car is dead. We are assuming it is because that door didn’t completely close. I’m assuming further that that is a costly fix. Couple this with the other problem (above) with the converter and exhaust at nearly $900, are we getting into, “it isn’t worth it” territory?

It just depends how much you like the van and how long you’re willing to keep it. Like I said, if it’s been properly maintained it should be good for at least another 112,000. Not sure what to tell you about the car being dead, i’m assuming the battery died from dome lights staying on overnight?

I’m kind of surprised i’m the only one who’s answered your thread. Anyone else have advice for lj? I’m trying to point him/her in the right direction.

There’s no connection between the need for a "Converter DF FED (whatever that means, I’m guessing a new catalytic converter), and the frozen windshield. But I don’t think you’ll care about that. Not really.

You bought a Toyota Sienna thinking, “I can drive this vehicle forever and never have to worry about anything.” Now reality is setting in, and you don’t like it.

You have told us NOTHING about how you’ve maintained this vehicle during its lifetime, and now you want us to share your anger about a $900 bill.

Sorry. $900 is NOTHING these days, especially considering you’ve already gotten 112,000 presumably trouble-free miles from this vehicle.

Is it dangerous not to do the repair? YES, it’s very dangerous. A leaking exhaust system is one of the most dangerous things you can have on a vehicle. Do you transport children in this van? If so, you’re exposing them to possible asphyxiation from the exhaust fumes leaking from the system, and you’re exposing yourself, as well.

Are you crazy? Quit messing around and have the exhaust system repaired.

Now, about the the heat/defrost. While your mechanic is repairing the exhaust system, ask him or her to drain and refill the cooling system, and install a new thermostat. Don’t complain about the extra cost, just do it (unless you’ve already paid for this in the last few year or miles).

You didn’t tell us much about your vehicle’s maintenance history, so we can only guess based on your post.

You can follow the maintenance schedule that came with the owner’s manual, or you can wait until things don’t work. It’s not hard to see which path you’ve chosen.

Everything Mc said is correct and keep in mind $900 is a lot cheaper than a comparable replacement van.

The inside of the windshield is freezing up because moisture is being introduced to the passenger compartment and then not getting a chance to dry. Make sure you have the vent settings on fresh air, not recirculate. Consider parking it overnight on a cold, dry night with a window cracked so that nice frigid and dry air can permeate the interior. In temps above freezing you can use your A/C combined with the defog mode to help remove moisture from the car as well.

Hope this helps! Good luck with the repairs the exhaust is a must.