2000 Saturn SL2 4 cylinder DOHC

OK: THANKS SO MUCH!

| Tester
October 28 |

• | - |

Click on the link above, “Engine Restorer”.

Tester

You might consider removing the valve cover and see if there is a lot of crud under it and on top of the head. If so, look for the drain back holes, this is where the oil that is pumped up to the valve train flows back to the pan.

I have see badly neglected engines get to where these holes plug up and the engine starts smoking after a few minutes.

Stick a long screwdriver down these holes and clean them out, clean off as much gunk off the cylinder head and around the valve train as possible, then change the oil as some of the gunk will get into the pan.

Replace the valve cover gasket and install the valve cover. See if that clears up the problem. If it is clean under the valve cover, then this won’t help.

Might try running some Marvel Mystery Oil through the engine to clean it out… I have seen it work magic… lol

1 Like

Thanks again for your helpful ideas; I really appreciate it. Is there any additive that could help.

Thanks so much.

also; why would I get blue smoke when accelerating? Thanks for your help and patience.

can Restore help the valve seals if they are leaking? what about smoke?

I once added MMM to an early torqueflight (A488) to free up a sticking 2-3 shift valve. It worked!

1 Like

Because oil is finding its way into the combustion chambers (either from above- valve seals; or below- rings).

I don’t know what kind of Voodoo Magic it has in it, but that snake oil works great… lol

It has made many vehicles pass emissions testing in the Nashville area years ago also…

I also used to use another snake oil in days gone by that is perhaps not even made today called “Wynn’s Friction Proofing”. Was quite effective in freeing up stuck lifters.

Restore doesn’t seal valve guide seal leaks.

It seals worn cylinder walls.

Tester

Yepers, still made…

Thanks for your help!

sorry to be a pest; I appreciate your expertise; would running an engine cleaner through the system give the same results?

Thanks for your helpful advice;he way I know I missed oil changes along the way; there is no smoke at all when I start the card; after idling for 10 minutes or so gray smoke starts to appear; once I start driving then there is intermittent blue smoke when accelerating. Really would like to stop the smoke temporarily until repairs can be made. Will adding a bottle of MMO help or hurt anything? Thanks again…

also; would adding a bottle of MMO help or hurt anything? Thanks

+1
I tried Restore in my friend’s Rav-4, and it reduced the rate of oil consumption from to 1 qt per 400 miles to 1 qt per 600 miles. Is that really a substantive difference, given the cost of that additive, vs the cost of oil?

2 Likes

It cant hurt anything. It’s a “hail Mary pass” and it’s cheap. It may not help, but what do you have to lose?

1 Like

I’ve never used one of those magic potion products myself so can’t say one way or the other. Ray used to say on the show to go ahead and try them, may not help, but unlikely to make matters worse. If a product like that caused a problem on modern cars, I’d expect it would be related to the variable valve timing mechanism.