2000 Saturn SL2 4 cylinder DOHC

I have a 2000 Saturn SL2 with *160K miles on it and it smokes due to worn piston rings - what additive will help reduce the smoke?

Try some Restore.

And how do you know it is piston rings? These were known for bad valve stem seals more than piston rings.

2 Likes

OP should carefully consider MM’s comment above, as the solution to the exhaust smoke depends on the cause. I wouldn’t guess a properly maintained 2000 Saturn would be burning oil b/c of a piston ring problem. What color is the smoke? Bluish, or blackish/greyish. The former points to oil, the latter points to overly rich mixture, gasoline smoke. If bluish smoke only appears immediately after starting the engine, then quickly disappears, that points to valve stem seals. Valve stem seal incontinence often also manifests itself by visible smoke out the tailpipe mostly when decelerating.

If the rings are worn, no additive will fix it. GM did a bad design on the spark plug placement. The plugs angle down into the head with no seal around them. Dust and grit build up around the plugs and if it is not removed before the plugs are removed, it falls into the cylinder. Dust and grit are not good for the cylinder walls or the rings.

Properly cared for, 300k is easy to obtain from this engine. That is if not rode hard and put away wet (no maintenance).

2 Likes

@keith is correct. I know of a number of these car that have gone well over 300k miles. I used to race an SC coupe. The engines are tough.

Thanks everyone for your help; no smoke when you start the car but when the car warms up gray smoke will start after 10 minutes of idling; then blue smoke will appear on and off when accelerating; not sure if this means valve stem seals or piston rings? Unfortunately the oil was not changed often enough. I would just like to get rid of the smoke for now until it can be fixed correctly. Not sure about Restore - did not hear great things about that product so not sure what to do or add? Any other ideas or products? Thanks so much.

I have a Saturn.

What a load of Bullplop! Smart people view a car as an appliance, and when they have an appliance which meets their needs, they keep it as long as possible, and resist the temptation to “upgrade” unnecessarily–taking on a lot of debt in the process.

Even if the OP could not repair the engine himself, and even if his options were to pay a shop $3k to install a working used engine, or $6k to install a remanufactured engine, that would still make sense if he really likes the car, and it is in good condition, and meets his needs. At DIY prices? It’s really a no-brainer to fix it!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your help; no smoke when you start the car but when the car warms up gray smoke will start after 10 minutes of idling; then blue smoke will appear on and off when accelerating; not sure if this means valve stem seals or piston rings? Unfortunately the oil was not changed often enough. I would just like to get rid of the smoke for now until it can be fixed correctly. Not sure about Restore - did not hear great things about that product so not sure what to do or add? What about Risline Ring Seal Stop Smoke? Any other ideas or products? Thanks so much.

Thanks everyone for your help; no smoke when you start the car but when the car warms up gray smoke will start after 10 minutes of idling; then blue smoke will appear on and off when accelerating; not sure if this means valve stem seals or piston rings? Unfortunately the oil was not changed often enough. I would just like to get rid of the smoke for now until it can be fixed correctly. Not sure about Restore - did not hear great things about that product so not sure what to do or add? What about Risline Ring Seal Stop Smoke? Any other ideas or products? Thanks so much.

Sounds like valve seals. Any of these stop-smoke products are a crutch. They can’t hurt and they might help. One poster here has a high opinion of Restore an he’s a pro so take that for what its worth.

1 Like

Thanks again Mustangman; I really appreciate your help and support! Will Restore stop smoke? It doesn’t specify that in the product info. Also I thought blue smoke upon acceleration meant piston rings issue and valve seals would show smoke (gray) on start-up? This is what I read for what its worth.THANKS!!!

| Mustangman
October 28 |

• | - |

Sounds like valve seals. Any of these stop-smoke products are a crutch. They can’t hurt and they might help. One poster here has a high opinion of Restore an he’s a pro so take that for what its worth.

Tester

what about stopping smoke? Will Restore do that seals othermula that may damage as well? Will it work whether the valve seals and/or piston rings are at fault? Also just want to be sure there is no stop leak in the formula as it may damage other seals long term?

I guess you didn’t read the link I provided? Huh?

Tester

sorry, please resend link. thanks so much

I couldn’t find the link you sent; sorry, please resend it. Thanks again for your help and patience.

Click on the link above, “Engine Restorer”.

Tester

@MC001

Do you have any kind of smog inspection in your area?

Because if you do, the car would technically fail the “visible smoke” portion of the test . . . even if you have no check engine light illuminated, all readiness monitors complete and no fault codes

If there is one.All they do here is check for codes.