2000 Olds Alero Turn Signals Working Intermittenly

The turn signals on my 2000 Olds Alero have started working intermittenly. They’ll work for a little bit - like 10 minutes - then they’ll stop. I either flip the signal level back and forth until the signals start working again or today, I pushed the hazard button and they started working.

At first, it was infrequent but now it’s happening every day, every time I drive. Is this a fuse or something more?

It’s not a fuse.

I’d try a new flasher unit and see if it helps.

Does it have a multifunction switch (turn signal, cruise, wipers, etc)? GM multifunction switches from this period are problematic.

Try spraying CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner into the base of the switch while working the turn signal lever. This is to clean the electrical contacts in the switch. If this makes a difference then the problem is in the switch. I had to replace the multifunction switch on my 2000 Blazer about 3 years ago.

Ed B.

Agreed, had similar problems in a '98 Regal. I strongly suspect the multifunction switch. If the fuse were blown, it would not work at all, not just intermittently. And fuses usally blow for a reason, namely, too much current through the system they are installed to protect. This in and of itself would have some cause.

So is this something I should try to do myself or take to a mechanic? I have an appt at the dealership on Thursday but can cancel it if I can fix this myself…

I would try replacing the flasher first. It costs about $10. According to the Autozone site the flasher is located “behind center of instrument panel”.

The multifunction switch is ~$200 and figure on 2 or 3 hours of labor for a total of $400-500. I replaced the switch on my Blazer, but I had the step by step instructions from the NHSTA Recall website. Try cleaning the switch with the contact cleaner first. Best case the switch is fixed, worst case the switch works for a few more days.

I did a quick check and there is a similar recall on the 2000 Alero. Enter the NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 03V327000 or the year, make, and model on the page to bring up the recall. Print out a copy and bring it to the dealer. If you click on the Documents link there may be directions to replace the switch. Once you read the directions, it’s up to you to decide whether to attempt the repair or not.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm

This recall had already been done on my Blazer by the previous owner so I had to pay for the switch and do the repair myself.

Post back and let us know how it turns out.

Ed B.

you surely dont need a dealer to replace the combo switch. I dont know your mechanical ability as to whether you can do it or not. It is fairly simple to replace. the upper and lower column covers will have to be removed. youll find the screws for the combo switch then. they are like an inverted torx bolt I believe. the connector is under the dash. I believe thats a 7 mm. The switch is available aftermarket. Good luck