2000 Jetta - Roaring Dragging Transmission

I think I said it all in the title. Anybody gone thru this?

I bought it used from a dealership. Right after I bought it, I felt something like it was not changing gears. My service guy drove it, with me in the back seat, and told me it was only the computerized system ??? What’s up with that?

Now there is a roaring noise that drowns out talk and radio. And it still feels and sounds like it’s not changing gears.

I’m wondering if I need to buy a new car. I love VWs. This car is paid off.

Any input from knowledgeable people? Thank you so much.

A roaring noise is usually a sign of bad bearings. Have your mechanic look at the wheel bearings before condemning the transmission. The wheel bearings are a lot cheaper.

Who’s your service guy, and does he know anything about VWs? Computers don’t roar, and nor do “computerized systems.” That was totally bogus, as you already know. How can you trust someone who tells you something like that?

How many miles on this beloved VW, and how long ago did you buy it?

Thank you beloved VW person. You sound very smart - asking the right questions. I still have a 73 yellow bug at my bro’s - he’s keeping it stored for me. I drove it to CA in 79, drove it all around CA until 1984, brought it back, restored it, now it needs to be restored again. I Love these cars.

73,000 miles on the 2000 Jetta. I knew I needed more info on my post, so sorry. Bought it two years in (2002), with a warranty, you know those reconditioned deals. I wonder how good a deal that is now.

Thank you VW lover,
Tina

Could the “roaring noise” be the engine turning at extremely high revs? Have you observed the tachometer when you hear this noise? If the engine is turning at extremely high revs and the transmission is not shifting, that would certainly seem to indicate a transmission problem.

I would suggest that you have the car checked by an independent transmission shop that has been in business for at least three years–DO NOT go to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, or any other transmission chain unless you want substandard work at inflated prices. And, of course, based on how you were treated by your “service guy” (whatever that might mean), DO NOT trust his very questionable expertise or his honesty.

If it turns out that the car does need to have the transmission replaced, are you prepared to “invest” a few thousand dollars in it?

First of all, Tina, I’m no longer a VW fan.

Sorry to disappoint you, but that’s the way it is. I drove air-cooled VWs, like your '73 bug, which I loved and will defend to this day, but that was a long time ago. My experience, and that of other VW owners I know, since then, has taught me that things are different now.

I wouldn’t buy a VW today if you paid me.

Well, I suppose it depends on how much you’re willing to pay, but I would not voluntarily walk into a VW dealer and inquire about buying a new or used VW. There are other vehicles on the market that are much more reliable and just as much fun to drive.

Be that as it may. You say you had a warranty. It’s unlikely, after all these years, that the warranty is still in effect, but, just in case, is it? Only you can tell. Read the warranty.

What’s the connection between the “service guy” and the warranty? It sounds to me like they’ve putting you off with BS excuses in the hope the warranty would expire before they had to repair the transmission.

If you’ve kept records you might be able to beat the system. Maybe. You will have had to keep REALLY GOOD records. Did you do that?

This is not a VW issue, it’s a warranty issue. You have to read the original warranty VERY CAREFULLY and figure out what’s covered and what’s not. Then you need to deal with whoever sold you the car and the warranty. This will not be easy.

There is a possibility you have no coverage at this point, and you will have to decide what to do. Get more than one opinion about what’s wrong before you do ANYTHING.

I wish you the best of luck.