2000 Chrysler Sebring JXi Convertible

I bought a 2000 Chrysler Sebring with 100,000 mile for $750 because the transmission didn’t work. It turned out that the previous owner did not replace the oil ever and the car just needed the transmission oil changed. I replaced the timing belt, water pump, inlet themostat housing pump, crankshaft position sensor, distributor, distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wire and have finally gotten the car running. I was having to deal with a misfire issue until I tightened my fan belt (dumbest solution on the planet) and I guess the reason it fixed it is because of the tinny battery that is in this car that it could not stay charged enough for the car to power the computer and it was making the computer run so low on a charge that it would cause a misfire. Now the problem is that when I go to start the car on average it takes 10 to 15 seconds for it to start. The rest of the car works great, it is a very smooth ride and I just want to know what is causing this because it is not a huge inconvience, but still it signals that something is wrong. If there is anyone that has an idea this is the 2.5L JXi convertible version please throw me some ideas.

Sounds like the fuel rail may or the fuel pump is not maintaining pressure (I’m not quite sure how that part works - think it’s in the pump).

Try this: Turn the key to the “ON” position, but not “START”, Listen for the fuel pump to shut off (if you can’t hear it, use about 5 seconds of time instead), turn key off. Repeat a couple times (like 3 total or so), leaving only a couple seconds between pump runs. Try and start. See what happens.

Chase

Chase’s advise is good…If that improves starting, investigate the fuel pump, fuel rail pressure, fuel pressure regulator…

I would also change that tranny fluid AGAIN after a few thousand miles…

And that tranny filter… :slight_smile:

Available at Autozone for $10.

…and if the previous owner really “did not did not replace the oil ever” ( I assume that you are referring to oil changes ), I would advise you to do a series of oil changes at 1,000 mile intervals.

Even if the engine seems to be running fairly well at this point, the amount of sludge in a 100k mile engine that never had its oil changed is likely to be…incredible…and it will inevitably lead to oil starvation to several areas of the engine.

4 or 5 oil and filter changes at 1k mile intervals would be relatively cheap insurance against catastrophic engine failure.

Check Engine Light On ?

A misfire code (PO300) , rough idle, extended crank time, etcetera, could indicate that this car needs a “revised” Chyrsler EGR valve. That applies to 96-00 Sebring convertibles with the 2.5 L engine.

CSA

“Did not replace oil, ever”, I believe is referring to the transmission fluid. At least, that’s how it reads, the way the sentences are constructed. Maybe he’ll come back and update us. :slight_smile: