2000 chevy cavalier car shuts off while driveing?

my friend’s 2000 cavalier chevy cut off on him while comeing home.try to crank it back up and all you hear is that its trying but but want fire up.thought it was the starter but thats not it.so what is the real problem and how to fix it asap.

Had a 1999 chevy cavalier that would not start just after driving it. The engine turned over good, but would not start. Found out that the fuel injector was bad. If this is the same engine it may have a throttle body injector that is causing this problem also.

A car needs fuel, spark and compression. You’re the first step in a case like this is to find out which one is missing.

If the CEL came on that may help. That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here. It likely will have a format like P1234.

If not then the next step is usually to check spark. Get a new spark plug, remove one plug wire and put the new plug on it, hold that plug’s threads tightly against the engine and have someone try to start the car. You should see a nice bright blue spark. Hint: use something very well insulated to hold that plug or you will have a very shocking experience. Also a dimly lit area or time of day makes it a lot easier to see.

A friend of mine had a similar problem,he had the fuel pump changed and that did the trick.Some fuel pump seals will wear out and even though the pump is working,at times those seals will sit incorrectly and cause the car to die.But it may just very well be that a miss firing is not allowing the syncronizing of fuel and spark to hit together.

[b]There are two ways an engine stalls. Either lack of fuel or engine management (electrical).

When there’s a fuel problem, the engine will sput and sputter before it stalls. This is because as fuel pressure and volume falls off, the engine begins to misfire.

If there’s an engine management problem, the engine will just shut off as if someone turned the key off.

One component I would test to determine if it’s still functioning when this problem occurs is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. This component can become heat sensitive where it fails when hot. And when the CPS fails, ignition and injector functions cease. And the engine stalls like the key was turned off.

Tester[/b]

i have a cavalier that did same thing after checking many things i found it had a broken ignition wire that was cutting off power to the fuel pump