2000 Audi A4 - good first car?

would a used 2000 Audi A4 1.8t sedan be a good first car?

No , unless you really like expensive repair bills .

6 Likes

I’ll second that. Unless you have a lot of extra money, this car will require more repairs and they will be more expensive. Only a few mechanics will know what they are doing. If you know one, don’t buy the car without his/her inspection.

2 Likes

NO. And I am an Audi owner.

If you want a 20 year old car as your first car…nothing wrong with that… don’t choose a complicated expensive one with complicated (and expensive) repair procedures. Choose a simpler car with easy repair access and parts availability.

No Saabs, no Fiats, no BMWs, no Mercedes, no Suzukis (in the US), no Wartburgs.

3 Likes

Stay away and don’t look back. Very expensive after warranty ends

1 Like

… and no Range Rovers/Land Rovers or Jaguars, either.

• I’m pretty sure that Mustangman included that marque as a joke, because any Wartburg automobiles that are still running would now be a minimum of 30 years old, and none were even imported into the US since… I think… the late '50s.
2 Likes

I’ll stick my neck out here and venture that the cost to keep a 20 year old Audi (or any of the brands listed above)operating plus the cost for a rental car while waiting for parts and repairs could buy a nice, reliable, basic model that required significantly less maintenance and repair. I would guess that I could keep a 1964 Studebaker Lark on the road as a daily driver cheaper than any of those European models.

4 Likes