1999 Toyota Camry P0401

1999 camry 4cyl 119671 miles check engine light on, otherwise it has no adverse running conditions. code P 0401 exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficent detected. Replaced vacuum switch valve for EGR. Replaced EGR vacuum modulator. Light is out. Auto runs fine around ne ighborhood. Fast drive on highway car appears sluggish. Exit highway and slow down engine is trying to shut down. Rpm gage bouncing. I have drive with one foot on the brake and one foot on the accelarator to keep engine from stalling.
Second visit to garage. Replaced idle air control motor and air intake hose.No help at all. Cost so far, 900.oo

Clogged EGR passages most likely. It needs to be cleaned out. Not sure that would cause your stalling, though.

I don’t know.

Have you looked at your fuel pump?? Fuel pressure, fuel flow, etc. And although your fuel pump might have nothing to do with this - please remember that the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel; and the longevity of the fuel pump is quickly shortened by running the car with the tank low on fuel.

Anyway - I don’t know… just wondering if the pump is getting old, and heating up when driving for a time, and then has some trouble delivering the proper amount of fuel when you slow down.