1999 Ford F250 - Question on emissions

What if I add another muffler to my car?

A muffler is not an exhaust emission component.

Tester

It would prove that you are not financially responsible and refuse to fix things properly.

Hmmm
what about an aftermarket cat? :laughing:

No real point diving down this wormhole. But I couldn’t help myself.

What law says that the emissions coming out of the tail pipe cannot be further reduced legally? I find in rather funny that someone would put so much effort in to trying to prevent someone from reducing harmful emissions from their vehicle.

VOLVO-V70 ??? adding a muffler is non financially responsible?

I never said you can’t add diesel emission components to a truck that doesn’t have it.

I worked in diesel emission research and testing.

And I can state as a fact, that adding a selective catalyst reduction system to a truck that doesn’t have it, is going to be far more expensive than buying a truck that already does.

Tester

3 Likes

I wonder what retrofitting a newer model (6.0 liter truck) exhaust would do as far as the exhaust smell? Or an aftermarket cat?

The real cost (I think) would come with the def system
as I think the regens and other operations are probably computer controlled
which would require a pcm that never existed be fabricated
?

1 Like

Yes, this right here
 And would also require, I think, electronic direct injection which cannot be retrofitted to an older mechanical direct injection diesel engine from 1999. That would require a complete engine replacement to a more modern engine AND its complete emissions and electronic control system at great cost.

1 Like

Everything in the diesel exhaust emission controls is computer controlled.

The diesel fuel injection for a DOC/DPF regen, and the urea injection into the SCR to eliminate NOx.

Tester

Washington State

3 Likes

Requirements for vehicle registration in Washington State has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.

Yes

They do

Because what @It_s-Me posted proved conclusively that what you were proposing is considered tampering and is illegal

And we’re back to what I said a few days ago . . .

This truck needs to pass legitimately

or be retired

@TheWonderful90s - Did you miss the “and federal law” part??

1 Like

He didn’t miss it he knows it all even when he don’t. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Doesn’t anyone else get irritated with this ridiculous trolling? They’ve backed down a bit since the attempt to get me banned failed, but still! The conversation has suddenly been derailed in to talking about registering a vehicle in Washington State and passing emissions, neither of which had anything to do with this topic. No State in the US requires an older vehicle to comply with current new vehicle emissions requirements, although there are rules about bringing in a later model year vehicle that was sold in a place with fewer emissions requirements.

Now it could be – and this is just your assumption – that the person is trying to modify their vehicle which was sold outside of California, or a Cali like State, and was not compliant with California emissions, to be California complaint. The person didn’t say this though.

It’s still against Federal law to modify the emission system on a car, even if your modifications improve it.

3 Likes

But every state has to comply with the Federal statute that expressly prohibits tampering with the factory emissions system. Meaning that if you have a 1999 Ford and install a 2019 Ford exhaust catalyst in addition to the factory emissions system, the truck is tampered. It’s that simple.

Adding a catalyst is just as bad as removing a catalyst in the eyes of the law.

4 Likes

That does seem kind of self defeating. I can’t imagine an inspector saying “Hey! This truck isn’t supposed to have a catalytic converter! You must have added that. No sticker for you!” But I’m not in a state that requires inspections so maybe that’s a possibility. I’ve also never found an EPA official on a creeper underneath my truck. Interesting discussion as most people probably wouldn’t want to spend the money to add a converter anyway.

Do you know of a single case of anyone anywhere in the USA getting in trouble for adding an additional emissions reduction device down stream of the factory compliant one?

Probably not. Most folks don’t like spending money on things that they don’t have to on their vehicle. Unless it’s fancy rims or a louder exhaust lol.