1999 Ford F250 - Question on emissions

We have a winner!

It may be beyond your skill level, but perhaps the OP would be able to get it done? But you’re on the buy a new vehicle band wagon like everyone else and you won’t listen to any reason. How dare someone try to reduce emissions on their own blah blah blah. His vehicle doesn’t have any emissions components to modify and this wouldn’t be modifying them anyway but none of you will listen you just paste the same irrelevant quote over and over. Don’t you have better things to do than shutting down a back yard tinkerer?

I think a 99 f250 diesel came with a catalytic converter from the factory. Not as clean burning as a newer diesel emissions system, but not as expensive and problematic either.

I wonder what the purpose of trying this retrofit is? Trying to pass emissions?

As far as if the retrofit can be done, I do not know. I’m sure it could, but I assume you’d have to buy the modern converter to go with the system so it would get pricey.

Ford introduced their first diesel engine with a DPF in 2008.

The 99 Ford diesel has no exhaust emission components.

Tester

None at all, huh? I didn’t know. I assumed they did because when I’ve bought scrap converters “old diesel” converters are near worthless, whereas newer ones are worth quite a bit. I assumed “old” referred to the late 90’s / early 2000’s.

Are you sure they didn’t come with cat converters?

https://www.carid.com/1999-ford-f-250-oem-engine-components/ford-oe-exhaust-system-exhaust-components-2460669712.html

Those weren’t converters.

They were Diesel Particulate Filters, (DPF)

DPF’s Don’t have a wash-coat of precious metals on the substrate.

Ergo, they’re worthless.

Tester

Ok
you’ve confused me.

“ Ford introduced their first diesel engine with a DPF in 2008.”

“ The 99 Ford diesel has no exhaust emission components.”

“ Those weren’t converters.

They were Diesel Particulate Filters, (DPF)”

What’s this part 2 in the link I posted previously?

Come 2008 , the EPA mandated that all three-quarter-ton and larger trucks had diesel particulate filters installed. Then, the EPA tightened the restrictions even more in 2010.Apr 25, 2018

Tester

I know this. I said I thought a 99 had a converter. You said it had “no exhaust emissions components”. I’m now assuming you don’t consider a converter an “exhaust emissions component”?

Here’s the confusion.

Ford decided if the truck came with a converter or not.

Not the EPA.

And I went by what the EPA/CARB mandates because I use to work in diesel emissions back then.

Tester

1999 may have been the first year for a catalyst on the Ford Super Duty. In general, the '90’s diesel pickup truck stand out in traffic with the odor and noise.

Emissions standards were again tightened in the early 2000’s, electronic common rail injection became the standard. Diesel pickup truck were equipped with catalytic converters throughout the 2000’s, before diesel particulate filters, those were required January 1, 2007.

The OP may be ashamed of the odor and pollution while pulling their camper through campgrounds, no easy solution for the old diesel trucks.

1 Like

Ok
. That is odd.

Does a diesel that didn’t come with converters from the factory get a free pass on emissions checks in states where checks are required?

Brings up another point. You can’t really tamper with the emissions system if it never existed

My emission control application guide has a foot note for the CAT requirement, 1999.5 model year Ford trucks are not equipped with a catalytic convertor.

This is not changed on a whim, the 1996-1999 7.4 L engine was certified operating with a catalytic convertor, the engine/chassis must be certified for emission output without the catalyst before these could be manufactured. The catalytic convertor appears again in 2003 with the 6.0 L diesel.

If the diesel vehicle has an emission reduction component in the exhaust, the modification could be put in before or after it leaving the factory emissions device unmodified. I suppose putting it in before the factory device could interfere with the operation of the factory emissions control device, but isn’t the spirit of the law to reduce emissions? In places like California you’re not allowed to replace the catalytic converter on a car with a better one. I read that the inspector will verify the numbers on the catalytic converter to ensure that the correct part is installed, even if the emissions test passes with flying colors. Maybe they do allow some non OEM catalytic converters I’m not sure. I assume the inspection would pass if another catalytic converter was put in line with the factory one.

None of us are on the “buy a new vehicle band wagon”

We’re on the “get it fixed legitimately WITHOUT TAMPERING band wagon”

Significant difference

2 Likes

correct

Yes, there are lists of approved cats

Nope

That’s tampering

Might need an opacity inspection

1 Like

Traditional catalytic converters remove gaseous pollutants from the exhaust stream. DPFs remove particles.

Yes. Newer diesels have a cat and a particulate filter (and now a urea injection system). Older ones had a cat converter only, as I understand it.