1999 ES 300 Transmission Problem found: NOW WHAT?!?

I’ve owned my 1999 ES300 for a few years and driven it 40K, up to 108K. It always had a hesitation under part throttle shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. After all this time I finally found the tech service bulletin that speaks directly to my issue. It states that:

“Some 1999 RX 300s & 1999 ES 300s may exhibit an intermittent shudder during the 2-3 shift under the following conditions:

* Engine and Transaxle at operating temperature. * Light throttle acceleration (30% throttle opening or less).”

The fix is to replace the transmission valve body but the warranty period is six years or 70K, and I’m outside both of those.

Questions: 1. Is this “intermittent shudder” actually causing excessive clutch plate wear that will lead to premature failure. 2. How involved a job is it to replace the valve body with a new one? I removed and modified a valve body in my ford 4R70W transmission ten years ago. Not sure I’d want to spend the time doing it again now. I imagine the local Lexus dealer is not going to want to do the work for free. 3. Anyone have luck negotiating a reduced rate for out of warranty TSB work? 4. Would a local shop be able to perform the work for reduced cost if I brought them the valve body from Lexus?

TSB info:

TC002-99 SHUDDER DURING 2-3 SHIFT

1999 Lexus RX 300

ARTICLE BEGINNING

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN

SHUDDER DURING 2-3 SHIFT

Model(s): 1999 Lexus RX 300 & ES 300 Section: Transmission & Clutch Bulletin No.: TC002-99 Date: August 6, 1999

INTRODUCTION

Some 1999 RX 300s & 1999 ES 300s may exhibit an intermittent shudder during the 2-3 shift under the following conditions:

* Engine and Transaxle at operating temperature. * Light throttle acceleration (30% throttle opening or less).

PRODUCTION CHANGE INFORMATION

The Transaxle Valve Body was improved in production to correct this condition.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

Part Name 3 3

Body Assembly, Transmission Valve 3 Body Assembly, Transmission Valve 3

Friday, November 12, 2004 08:22PM Page 1

TC002-99 SHUDDER DURING 2-3 SHIFT

1999 Lexus RX 300

APPLICABLE WARRANTY:

REPAIR PROCEDURE

This repair is covered under the Lexus Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.

Replace Transaxle Valve Body. Follow Transaxle Valve Body Replacement Procedures as outlined in the U140E Repair Manual (Pub. No. RM633U) or U140F Repair Manual (Pub. No. RM632U).

NOTE: NOTE: NOTE:

All valve bodies in parts stock were produced after the Production Change.

Shown in Fig. 1 are corrections to the U140E and U140F Repair Valve Body Installation Procedures.

After replacing the Valve Body, perform the “Reset Memory” Function as outlined in TSIB TC005-98 dated December 25, 1998.

Fig. 1: Revised U140E/U140F Valve Body Installation Procedure