My inherited Lexus

I am a seemingly proud owner of a 1994 Lexus ES 300 with 250k miles.Yes 251k to be near-exact.

The problem is that after the car has been cranked up and i reverse out,it takes eternity for it to move forward.Depressing the pedal only spins the rpm,it does a perfect snail movement.But once it overcomes this initial shock it works pretty well…until i leave it un-moving for a couple of hours and have to go through the 3-5minute snail pace again.I,m not so knowledgeable about cars so i need help before i disinherit it.Could it be the transmission? I just topped it up with Dexron 3.

Thank you.

p.s. i,m so scared about dealer repair cost

It could help if you had the transmission filter and fluid changed. Just keep it simple with a fluid drain and filter change. Then, if there is no improvement, take it to an independent transmission repair shop.

There is absolutely no reason to take an older car to a Lexus dealer. Not to burst your bubble but the ES300 is essentially a glorified/posh Toyota Camry somewhat now and very much so in 1994 vintage. Mechanics work on Camry’s everyday so your vehicle is not unfamiliar mechanically.

Like the other poster said find a trusted tranny shop (ask around) and see what transpires.

As was said, start with a transmission fluid change and a transmission filter change. DO NOT go to a quick lube place for this service, but instead, go to an independent mechanic who is familiar with Toyotas (In case you were not aware of it, the ES300 is mechanically identical to a V-6 Toyota Camry, with the addition of nicer body styling, and a more deluxe interior).

Since any mechanic who is familiar with Toyotas can work on your car, there is absolutely no reason to go to a dealer–either a Lexus dealer or a Toyota dealer–for repairs. If it turns out that a transmission overhaul is needed, ask friends, neighbors and co-workers for a recommended independent transmission shop (NOT Aamco, Lee Myles, Cottman, or any other chain operation), preferably one that has been around for a number of years.

I noticed a misspeling in your post VDCdriver. It’s SCAAMCO. AAMCO is that other place that stands for All Automatics Must Come Out. The consumer fraud department of the local DA’s office finally ran the local SCAAMCO franchise out of town. Now it’s an indy shop, probably employing most of the same techs.

;-))