1999 Dodge Durango that starts up fine and stops after approx. 20 miles in hot and humid weather

My 1999 Dodge Durango starts up with no problem. Several weeks ago on a hot and humid day the car started up just fine. Drove approximately 20 miles when it stopped after leaving a stop light. I was able to steer it to a parking light on the left. I parked the Durango and called a friend to pick me up to get out of the heat. I went home and two hours later met a tow truck back at the lot where the car was parked. The car started right up, but I sitll had it towed to a mechanic shop. I thought it may be a bad fuel pump. They did a diagnostic test but did not find anything wrong. The mechanic suggested that I have the battery cable system replaced.

I let the car sit for three weeks because I did not want to take a chance on getting stranded. I took it to the Dealer and they could find nothing wrong. The very next day, the car started up with no hesitation. I drove it to the doctors office 25 miles away. After leaving the doctor’s office and going less than a mile, the car stopped again at a light. I let the car sit for five minutes and it started right up. I drove it back to the dealer and left it to be checked out. I also noticed that he car was leaking oil and had them to check that out. Again the Dealer could not diagnose the problem with the car cutting out. They said if I could get the car to them when it will not start they would be able to diagnose the problem. They did find that the oil leak was the pan and that it would cost approximately $500.00 to repair and fix the problem.

I don’t want to get the oil problem fixed without finding out why the car stops so I can have it repaired. Without being able to diagnose the problem, the car is not reliable transportation, and I am afraid to drive it.

Can you give me any advise on how to try and solve this problem.

The stated symptoms, “It stopped after leaving a red light”, and, “It stopped at a red light”, and, “The engine started after a period of time”. Is there anything else you can tell us? Take your truck to an independent shop. Perhaps, one which specializes in engine electronics. Two things I would suspect are the idle air control valve and, the throttle position sensor. You could mention this idea. It, and several other things, are on a check list for “Stalling”.

The crankshaft position sensor comes to mind simply because I read a recent article stating that the “state” of the sensor changes as the vehicle warms. If the PCM isn’t getting the correct reading, it will most likely shut down the ignition system through the ignition module and coil. The initial problem was diagnosed by dropping the sensor in some hot water to see if that changed its overall “state.” I may be way off-base here and I do apologize if thats the case.

I had engine problems 3 years ago when the car was still under warranty, and they put in a new engine. The new engine has 35,000 miles on it. This is a recent problem that has occurred twice. After the first time, I did not drive until I has it checked out by the dealer. They said it could be a number of things including a sensor. he said repairs would be to costly to guest at the problem. A family member said it sounds like the coil.

A couple times a week I go out and crank it up and it starts with no hesitation.

It is worth checking out and I can only hope that it will resolve my problem.

Any more suggestions.

One more thing you can do is invest in one of the manuals - i.e. Haynes, Chilton, Dodge factory manual (best choice though expensive), and do some investigating on the various sensors and which ones are affected by the engine’s operating temperature. A good example would be the opening of the thermostat as the vehicle warms. I would start at the CKP(crankshaft sensor) and continue on to the camshaft sensor (if vehicle has one) and maybe even look at the exhaust to see if you are having any back pressure problems that may be due to a restriction in the lines. Good luck.

I will get started on your suggestions. Thanks!