1998 Saab 900s manual transmission-key stuck

My 1998 Saab 900’s key will not release from the ignition. This happened a few times in the past and I was able to get it out, but now it will not come out at all. Does anyone have a suggestion on what might cause this? and how do I get my key unstuck? Thank you in advance for any help. Momster

You either have a problem with a worn tumbler (part the key fits into) or a problem in the console linkage underneath the cover. This is not an uncommon problem for SAABs due to the location of the ignition switch.

There’s not a miracle fix for this. You’re going to have to see a locksmith, a good import repair shop, or quite likely the SAAB dealer unless you’re mechanically inclined. Some SAABs can be a bit of an aggravation when it comes to ignition switch repairs.

Thank you so much for the information. Very helpful.

Some of the earlier model SAAB 900s were a real pain in the neck when this problem developed as it required the removal of the passenger side seat and a special tri-cornered wrench to remove the ignition switch console; not to mention groping around in the impossible to access firewall area to drive out the shifter linkage roll pin.

I don’t mean to state the obvious, but you DO have the car in Reverse when you are trying to take the key out?