1998 Nissan Pathfinder stalling

I have a 1998 Pathfinder with around 160,000 miles on it. This week it has had some issues with stalling when I am idling. The first time it happened, I was at a stoplight and it cut out 3 times and I was able to start it back up and drive the rest of the way home (40 miles) with no problem. The next time it started stalling out I was at a stoplight and was able to put it in neutral and rev the engine and it stayed on. I have a 45 mile commute to and from work every day, and I don’t want this to happen when I am on the highway going 65mph.

I have no idea about cars and I thought it would be better to reach out to the CarTalk community before I drop who knows how much money at the mechanics. Any help is really appreciated!

Almost impossible to diagnose over the internet.

When was the last time it had a tune-up?

One forgotten item on this truck is the fuel filter since it’s a pain to replace.

You’re going to have to take this into a mechanic and have them diagnose it.

Thanks MikeInNH! I had it in the shop in March for an oil change, fluids and new tires. I will check on the fuel filter and try and get it to a shop.

The fuel filter is only ONE item that can cause this problem. I’d consider taking into a mechanic for a full diagnosis.

@jogianderson

Here’s what I would do

Clean the throttle body

If that doesn’t help, there’s a good chance the IAC idle air control valve is faulty.

You could try cleaning the IAC also, but it doesn’t always work