1998 Mitsubishi Mirage - Blinker won't turn off

I was on my way to work, and turned right. Prior to turning, I had my blinker on accordingly, and after turning, the blinker was still on. I switched on my left blinker, nothing changed. I pulled over, tried both blinkers and got out of the car to see if they were blinking outside, and the right blinker was on still, no left blinker. I tried the hazard lights, and both lights were blinking. I shut off the engine to see if anything would reset, and as soon as the car turned back on, so did the right blinker. My partner checked the fuses, and all seems to be in working order.

What on earth is happening?

It is most likely your turn signal switch.

Did you turn off all the lights?

Yes, all the lights were turned off. If it’s the signal switch is the problem, how do I fix it?

Replace the turn signal switch. It can’t be repaired.

Ok, any good pointers? Is this something my car savvy partner can do, or do we need special skills/tools? (I will see what I can dig up on my own, but i trust the good folks here more than the internet at large)

Before replacing the switch, clean the contacts by spraying CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner into the base of the switch while working the turn signal.

When the turn signal switch on my 2000 Blazer failed, the contact cleaner got it working for a few days. I still had to replace the switch, but at least I able to verify the problem was in the switch.

I found instructions on the web and replaced the switch by myself. There had been a recall on the hazard switch and I found the directions on the NHSTA web site. The job is labor intensive and the airbag has to be disabled. I needed sockets and torx bits to dissemble the steering column to get access to the switch. Every car is different, so I can’t say how it will be on your car.

I found these directions, it looks like a simple job.

Good luck,

Ed