1998 Dodge Ram 1500 - was I taken advantage of?

Maybe the transmission is rare but it seems like the shop found one for the truck, or maybe that’s not what the ad said, but from the OP’s statement, it sure sounds like they swapped transmissions in it after saying they would call the junk yard to come and get it. Least they could have done is call the OP and tell him they found a trans and give him the chance to pay for it.

The shop may have “repaired” the original transmission, it might be that the vehicle owner did not authorize a $400 tear down fee to assess the repairs. Either way it is unlikely that an owner of a $600 truck would spend $2000 to replace or repair a transmission.

1 Like

Well, they’re selling it for $2200 so doubful it was a $2000 repair. Also, why not pay $2000? If the truck is in otherwise reasonable shape, it might be a good deal to buy a truck the owner gave up on, sold for cheap…and get it fixed. No one size fits all approach…

I must have some kind of a reading comprehension problem . . . :mag_right:

I reread op’s comments . . . again . . . and now I’m on board with the rest of you guys

At first I thought op saw an ad for a truck just LIKE his, with a used transmission installed

Now I figure he meant he saw an ad for HIS truck, well his former truck, but with a used transmission installed

Yeah, it sounds like that shop had sleazy motives from the get go

But I’m not backing off my initial comment . . . what kind of vehicle can you expect for $600

2 Likes

The truck ran and sounded pretty good when I bought it. The body had no dents or rust just faded paint. The front looked like it had recently been rebuilt and the engine didn’t knock anywhere. I took it to work daily for about 2 weeks 107 miles a day and started hearing a spinning sound coming from the tranny area. When I held the clutch it stopped. A couple of days later, me not knowing anything about a manual trans but how to drive them, I kept pushing it into first when it didn’t want to go into it, released the clutch and heard a loud bang. I towed it to the shop the next day. I wanted it fixed or replaced. I thought about buying it back just to see their faces.

Used car sales unless a warranty is stated are assumed to be as is sales according to Judge Judy, confess stay at home I have been watching that show, and it is surprising how many people are in court over a used car sale, and do not win.

When you signed the title over to this sleazo shop . . . did they pay any money for the truck?

Or did they just “take it off of your hands” . . . ?!

Maybe after you saw it for sale later on, you should have showed up and said “I see you’ve found a transmission, after all” . . .

3 Likes

When dealing with odd ball parts sooner or later the part you need will become available for a cost less than expected.

I don’t know what transpired here but when a customer calls 4 times a day for an update the response can be quite abrupt.

When a customer decides to throw in the towel, do you talk them out of it? Why not take the truck home and replace the transmission yourself? A couple of hobos could replace a manual transmission in a half ton pick up in three hours.

Hard to diagnose from a distance. The spinning sound could be from the throwout bearing on a misadjusted or over worn clutch which quiets down when more force is applied (had one of those), not going into first could be a clutch that’s not completely releasing (had one of those, too), the loud bang could be the pressure plate throwing springs (happened to a friend) - all these were around 200kmi.