1998 Chevrolet Astro van will not start

astro
chevrolet

Hi there I have a 1998 Chevrolet Astro van. 4.3 L. When the van is cold it will not start unless a put starting fluid in the intake. I put new plugs, rotor,fuel filter, a new fuel pressure regulator, a new temperature sensor and the van will not start. Could someone tell me what the problem may be. I’ll be grateful.

My e-mail address is: estebanv@verizon.net

Thank you.

Esteban

Engines that run on priming fluid only should have their fuel pumps checked.

It would’ve been a good idea to check the fuel pressure before throwing all these parts at it. It’s still a good idea; that’ll at least give you an idea of whether the fuel pump is still up to snuff.

Once the van stars it runs fine, if it seats for two hours or more it will not start without the starting fluid in the intake. I feel that it the problem were the fuel pump it may not work for more than a few seconds (while the starting liquid burns), but once the car stars it runs fine. Anyway, how do I checked the fuel pump?

Thank You.

Once the van stars it runs fine, if it seats for two hours or more it will not start without the starting fluid in the intake. I feel that if the problem were the fuel pump it may not work for more than a few seconds (while the starting liquid burns), but once the car stars it runs fine. Anyway, how do I checked the fuel pump?

Thank You.

It sounds like the fuel is running back into the tank after the van sits for a while. There is supposed to be a check valve near or in the pump to keep that from happening.

These instructions should help you do the various fuel pump checks: http://www.aa1car.com/library/fuel_pump_diagnose.htm The test you would do first is the static check. This will indicate, to you, if the fuel pressure is adequate for starting.

Thank you very much, this weekend I’ll work on it, hopefully I’ll get it to start.

Thank you very much, this weekend I’ll work on it, hopefully I’ll get it to start.