1998 Cadillac Eldorado - repeated AC issues

My 1998 Eldorado (less than 90,000 miles) has been at the Cadillac dealer 4 times for a/c problems. They replaced the compressor but then a few hundred miles later the a/c stopped putting out cold air. They put in freon. It has happened again and today they tell me the freon vaporates as I only drive the vehicle less than 1,000 miles a year. Does this make sense?

Poor description by the dealer. What is more likely to me, but I am not an HVAC technician, is that due to lack of use your seals have dried out allowing the refrigerant to leak out. Since this vehicle has been out of warranty for nearly twenty years, try an independent AC shop. But I expect you are looking at a quite a few hundred for a proper repair.

Bogus to a point. Refrigerant does “evaporate” so to speak but not because of sparse use of the car. It’s because there is a leak somewhere.

Part of their job when replacing the compressor is to leak check the entire system to make sure you do not go through this problem repeatedly.

1 Like