1998 Accord timing belt

My 1998 Accord (4 cyl, 2.3 liter) has only 34,000 miles on it, but is, clearly, almost ten years old. At this rate of use, when should I replace the timing belt. Honda suggests 100,000 miles, but that is usually 7 or 8 years of use.

If you have been following these posts, you may have noticed that we regard age of components as well as use in determining deterioration. If it was my car, I would change the timing belt soon. Ten years is a long time for a rubber item to spend in a hostile environment. Honda is right, if you accumulate 100,000 miles before 10 years are up, you go by miles. My Toyota book says 60,000 miles, and I assume your belt is not 66.7% better than mine. This is one of those “peace of mind” items that can give you a lot of trouble if ignored. I’m surprised Honda’s manual does not give a time limit as well.

I would change the belt and be able to sleep well.

Rubber rots with age and you’ve been living on borrowed time for about two years now. The replacement guidelines are 7 years, 105k miles. If this belt breaks, you are in for some very expensive engine repairs.

Many dealers have a good deal on the belt replacement, you should check with them first.