1997 VW Eurovan Electrical Problem

While driving, a rapid clicking sound randomly comes from under and to the left of the steering wheel and the van concurrently has stuttered power. It still drives but is rapidly getting worse with frequency and we are on a road trip on the Oregon Coast with young kids and limited local mechanics. It seems like something as simple as a loose connection but before digging in to check electrical connections I thought I would check in with this knowledgeable crowd to hopefully steer me in the right direction.

Would that be where the fusebox is located? there may be a failing relay. Plug and play if you can figure out the offending relay by sound. Not familiar with the car, just an idea.

Yes, the sound does seem to be coming from one of the relays. Any ideas what to do if I can not identify which relay is making the sound?

If this happens even while parked and idling, you can just put you finger on the relays and feel which one is clicking in time with the stuttering.

Yes, the sound does seem to be coming from one of the relays. Any ideas what to do if I can not identify which relay is making the sound? I am guessing it is the Air Conditioner relay as it feels slightly warm to the touch compared to other relays. Does the failing relay create a voltage surge through the system and this is what is causing the engine to stutter when the relay is acting poorly?

My first guess would be fuel pump or fuel injection relay.