1997 Cadillac Eldorado: trunk draining the battery?

MY SECURITY SYSTEM GOES OFF RANDOMLY. CQDILLAC DEALER COULD NOT FIND PROBLEM. NOW, MY DASH CLOCK GOES ON AND OFF AND DRAINS MY BATTERY. I GOT A NEW BATTERY AND IT WENT DEAD AGAIN. MY CAR IS NOW AT DEALER. THEY TOLD ME MY TRUNK, WHICH DOES NOT GO DOWN ALL THE WAY, COULD BE THE PROBLEM SO THEY ARE GOING TO FIX IT AT A COST OF $500 TO $700. A FEW YEARS AGO, THE MOTOR ON THE TRUNK BROKE, AND I HAD IT DISCONNECTED AND HAD NO POROBLEMS. THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO DO IT TODAY, BUT, IT’S 10 PM And I haven’t heard from them. what do you think?

I think you yell too much!!!

Yosemite

Using all capital letters does tend to annoy people. But there is nothing to be said until you get the vehicle back and find out if the problem is fixed. But why are you taking an old Cadillac to a dealer anyway? Have the alarm disconnected especially if it is after market.

Taking a 21 year old car to the Cadillac dealer for repairs is nuts.

They “THINK” it might be the disconnected non working motor that closes the deck lid causing the battery to drain and for $700.00 of your money they “THINK” it “MIGHT” fix it.

A disconnected electric motor is NOT draining your battery.

2 Likes

The Retained Accessory Relay may not be shutting off, were you able to demonstrate this to the service department? That is an important clue.

As for the trunk, disconnecting the pull down motor and trunk lamp should eliminate a draw in that area.

Anyone with an amp clamp and a wiring diagram should have which circuit is causing this narrowed down in an hour. May take another hour to find where in that circuit the fault is. Then maybe a third to repair it.