1996 T&C limp mode, odd code, and wrong speed..?

Getting a P1768 code… Stuck in Limp mode, and reader says we are going 88 when we are actually going 55… Thoughts?

what reader? do you mean the speedometer?

from the internet: (search for p1768 code chrysler)
this code is for the transmission control relay and below is a list of possible causes
LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE CAUSING SYMPTOM
FUSED B(+) CIRCUIT TO TRANS CTRL RELAY OPEN
TCR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY CIRCUIT OPEN
TCM PIN 16 TO TCR OPEN OR BAD CONNECTION
TCM PIN 17 TO TCR OPEN OR BAD CONNECTION
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY DEFECTIVE
NO OUTPUT FROM TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY
TCM TRANS RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
INTERMITTENT CODE P1768

Don’t know why you are in limp home mode but it sounds like you speedometer display has switched to kilometers per hour.

3 Likes

If your battery is over 3 years old, try a new one.

It’s the code reader.

The code reader showed 88… Not the actual speedometer.

55 MPH = 88 km/hour

The code reader shows you your speed???

The more sophisticated code readers can read the car’s sensors individually, so are able to read the vehicle speed sensor. That’s why the insurance companies want to plug electronic monitor boxes onto the obd II connector full time, so they know how fast the owner drives the car. Drive too fast, your rates go up, or you get dropped… Th OP’s code reader must display the output of the vehicle speed sensor in km/hr units rather than miles/hr.

When my brother got a Harbor Freight code reader for about $90, he plugged it in to my Insight, and as I drove, he told me real-time coolant temp, spark advance, and other stuff.

Exactly so. My scanner also gives all that internal data. And, when I hooked up to the government pickup they were using to pickup garbage on streets where the big garbage truck can’t go, it showed coolant temp at -40, also a synch problem in the motor.

And, yes, if driving (careful of distractions) it tells you road speed.