1996 Chevy Lumina w/ Mass Airflow Sensor Troubles

Hi All,
So I have a 1996 Chevy Lumina (3.1L V6 engine) and I keep getting a DTC code P0101, which is a Mass Airflow Sensor malfunction. It’s rather annoying because every time this happens, my engine shuts off. I’m talking no power steering, no power breaks, no acceleration, nothing. So I replaced the mass airflow sensor and it continues to stop about every five minutes. However, it does something odd and that is that the car drives just fine when it’s in Overdrive and stops when it’s in regular drive. I don’t know if that’s important, but I thought it might help diagnose the problem. I could really use some advice on where to go next because I’m a 16 year old kid and I don’t make a whole lot of money (hence I haven’t taken it to a mechanic yet). So, I’d really appreciate any help any professionals or even really talented enthusiasts on here would be willing to give me. Thanks!

Christian

The DTC P0101= Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem.

The code doesn’t indicate that there’s a problem with the MAF sensor itself, but instead indicates that there’s a problem with MAF sensor CIRCUIT. This also includes the wiring harness to the MAF sensor or the computer itself not supplying voltage to the MAF sensor.

Tester

As Tester noted. So first carefully inspect the wiring for the MAF and its connector. Follow the wiring as far as you can.

If you go to Autozone’s website and register an email address & plug in the car’s info you can get access to free online repair info. This normally includes wiring diagrams and you can find out whether or not your MAF & transmission wiring might share anything, like a ground or something. I don’t think its likely but the part about the transmission is weird. Are you talking about the position the gear selector is in? Or are you talking about what gear the car is actually in while driving? Are you sure this isn’t a coincidence? Perhaps you should check around the area of the car’s shift linkage to find out if any part of the linkage is messing with a wiring harness someplace.

Another thing to check for woud be any holes or leakage in the air snorkel running from the air cleaner to the throttle body. Sometimes leaks can cause maf codes.

Thanks Guys. For those who, I did find out today that the issue with the car running better in Overdrive was apparently false as I tried that today and it died again. So it was apparently just a coincidence. Thanks again! Will try checking the wiring soon. I’ll let you know how it goes.