1996 Cadillac De Ville with 12 gallons of old fuel in tank

It was running after the jump. We then disconnected the battery cable as we were told if the car dies with it disconnected it is the alternator. Is this not true? Thank you.

I forgot to mention again as I did in an earlier comment that I just replaced the battery with a new one after the car sat over a year. I drove the car a few times, for a total of around 25-30 miles. The car was working great. After returning to my car from my appointment, it was dead. That was when the person that helped me was unable to get my car started. I got it towed home. Recently I got help starting it again. We finally got it running and disconnected the battery cable to check the alternator. The battery is new. It has a 5 year warranty. Thank youā€¦

You check the alternator but checking voltage at the battery while the car is running, or pull the alternator and take it to a parts store to be tested.

1 Like

So when they checked it and it was 7 volts that was not accurate because the car was not running? I will try to get the car running again and check the voltage. It should be what 12+ volts? Thank you.

If they check voltage with the car off, then the 7 volts would be the charge on the batteryā€¦and thatā€™s extremely discharged. Likely the battery would be toast from it running down that low.

A good battery when the car is off should be in 12 volt range

Regina , your replies can be seen by everyone so it is not necessary to reply to each post. We donā€™t know where you are but if you are the US Auto Zone can check your battery and alternator for free in most places. And removing the cable on a running vehicle is no longer a valid test for anything.