1995 Toyota Corolla - Timing belt

I drive a 1995 corolla, and I am wondering how often you should change a timeing belt? Some one said it should be changed often, but I have had it done once in 24 years?

You are on borrowed time . In the owners manual schedule it will say change the belt at xxx miles or xxx months which ever comes first. It sounds like you have not done a lot of other service items that you need to have done . Things like brake fluid - coolant .

3 Likes

Are you certain that your 26-year old Corolla is worth more than a timing belt service? Just something to think about. If you do plan to have the job done, here is some info:

The good news is that both engines available for the 1995 Corolla are non-interference

Thus, you could literally roll the dice

Keep driving it until it breaks, the car rusts out, no longer passes safety/smog inspection, etc.

We have no idea what shape your car is in

If the paint is beat up, it has lots of scratches and dents, the ac’s only blowing hot air and the car’s rusted out, it may not make sense to pay for a timing belt replacement now

4 Likes

… as long as you don’t mind being stranded in an inconvenient or unsafe place.

For reasons that I will probably never fathom, most people seem to envision catastrophic failures taking place only in their own driveways, rather than when passing an 18 wheeler, or while crossing RR tracks, or while driving through a dicey area, or…

5 Likes

Well, what do you suggest . . . ?!

If this 1995 Corolla is anything like those still on the road in my neck of the woods . . . they are actually in very bad shape . . . then it doesn’t make sense to do the timing belt EVER

What is your solution . . . ?!

Pay for a timing belt replacement now . . . ?!

Drive the car straight to the junkyard . . . ?!

Donate the car to the local npr-affiliated radio station . . . ?!

A wise person would replace the timing belt.

Tester

… or replace the car with something a decade or so newer.

3 Likes

Your suggestion seems to agree with my 2nd and 3rd suggestions

A person driving a 1995 car probably can’t afford to be overly concerned with where or when they break down.

I was driving a 66 Valiant to work in 1996 but I only had a 1 1/2 mile commute. One bitterly cold day with high winds and blowing snow I got back from a 4 day trip and among 6 drivers who got back that morning, mine was the only car that started. My secret was 5W 20 oil.

1 Like

Affirmative!

1 Like

Maybe the OP LIKES her 1995 Corolla. To me, the car would be worth fixing.

could be

How can you make a statement like that, without being able to inspect the car . . . ?!

2 Likes

Eh.

So the catastrophic failure happens when you’re on the interstate. Put the flashers on and pull over. It’s not like we’re launching rockets here, and the slightest problem will probably see you die a fiery death. Cars break at speed all the time, and most of the time the driver manages to get it over to the breakdown lane.

As long as the engine’s non-interference, I say drive it 'till it breaks or until the crank seal starts to leak, or some other thing goes wrong that requires drilling down under the timing cover. As long as you have a cell phone and AAA, it’ll be fine.

5 Likes

I’m assuming that she has taken care of it, as I do my own cars (no oil leaks, all scheduled mx taken care of, bidy in great shape, etc.). If her car was a junker, I don’t think she would be entertaining the thought of investing in a timing belt now, would she? That’s why I “made a statement like that”.

And because 1995 Corollas in your “neck of the woods” are junk all 25 year old Corolla’s are worthless?

DId I offend anyone? Sorry, no apology from me.

That is assuming quite a bit. a 25 year old car that the original poster admits hasn’t had the required maintenance done (ie: they have likely NOT taken care of it,) is more likely not going to be in tip top shape.
Perhaps your crystal ball is better than mine, but going by the facts given, I agree with @db4690 assessments. If the car isn’t worth it, then it’s just not worth it.

3 Likes

I think your real secret was a slant 6 @oldtimer-11

3 Likes

You didn’t offend anybody

But you’re literally making a lot of assumptions

I’m not a total cynic or optimist, I’m more of a realistic

That’s why I’m assuming the typical 25yr old Corolla isn’t going to be in stellar condition

I realize that doesn’t apply to you, but you’re probably an outlier. Take that as a compliment :+1:

Even if it is in stellar condition it’s still not worth much. It’s a Corolla, not a Diablo.

1 Like

Assessment of value lies with the beholder Grasshopper.

1 Like