1995 Toyota Corolla - Timing belt

Assessment of value lies with the bluebook.

Assessment of emotional attachment lies with the beholder.

5 Likes

Drive on. If it snaps deal then.

1 Like

The value of my car won’t impress anyone but it is efficient, comfortable and the A/C is cold so it suits my needs.

3 Likes

Yes
 yes what @shadowfax said
 That’s what I meant of course. Damn Grasshopper

1 Like

I had a '66 Dart, loved that car, rock solid, what finally took it out was someone running a red light and bashing the front end in. Mind you, it was still running with radiator fluid all over the street until I turned the engine off. 225 slant 6 was so easy to work on, and rarely needed it.

1 Like

When my kids were first buying cars and in college, I told them they could buy any kind of car they wanted with their own money, but if it had a slant six in it I would fix it and I had several shelves in my garage with parts from work cars that had met their demise due to rust.

The last time I used one of those parts was on my oldest sons Dodge Grand Caravan. It was Christmas night and he and his family had the car loaded and ready to go the 70 miles home. He checked his oil and when he closed the hood, his hood latch broke. I had an identical one on the shelf from a 66 Valiant.

My cars all went to the junkyard without hoods or trunk lids. I would use the for patch panels for my next clunker.

1 Like

Surprisingly, there is no timing belt replacement interval specified for the 7AFE engine (if that is what the O.P. has) unless you are in the severe service category. But most people who think they are not in the severe service category actually are.

I can confirm that the belt breaking on the 7AFE does not have to be a catastrophic event that ruins the engine. But I did have to wait nearly two hours for the darn tow truck to retrieve me at 1 a.m. I shoulda walked home and waited from there, it was only about a mile away so I was pretty lucky.

“Not worth much?” As my neighbors with luxury SUVs (BMW, Audi, Caddy), must have their cars towed somewhere, for some reason; my Corolla starts up, and I drive away.

3 Likes

should have it done about 75k miles is average some dealers are little more and some less. if you bust it you could knock a hole in the piston and most likely than not bend some vales if it is a intafearance engine and most engines are

Nope

Both engines for the 1995 Corolla sold in the USA were non-interference

4 Likes

if you paid attention i said “most” engines are i didn’t say all engines are

why did you make your comment . . . ?! :confused:

7 days ago it was determined that this engine is non-interference.

2 Likes

OK? Go sell it and see how much money you get. That’s what it’s worth. Cars are almost always worth more to their owners than they are in dollars. That makes sense in some cases like yours, but it doesn’t usually make sense if you’re looking to put $3,000 worth of work into an $800 car.

Well depending on how many miles are on the car is a start. around 60,000 miles is best. It is not something you want to wait on if it goes and they have no clearance for the valves you’ll bend them and then well
 You will be paying for a lot more than a belt

One thing about Toyota’s they are always worth doing the service work too. Toy engines are just great little engines if taken care of. But with that said normally the rest of the car fall’s apart around you but it sill runs good. But say a grand to fix it and yes that’s on the high side is still cheaper then a New car payment if you really can’t afford it I had a 89 Lexus LS 400 just about 400k on the thing only thing i had bad with it was the power steering pump went out and a dent in the fender Now that PS pump alone was worth more than that car. So i just had manual steering for the next 2 years before i traded it in.

As I’ve said before, the “value” of a car isn’t how much you could sell it for on the open market. It’s how much you’d have to pay to replace it with something else that runs reasonably well. So depending on the situation, it could very well make sense to put $3,000 into a car that Blue Books for only $800.

1 Like

Only if you can’t find another car that’s as good for $3799. :wink:

You and I seem to be saying similar things from different sides of the fence because we’re using different definitions of “value.” I’m using the one that says “how much something costs.” You’re using the other one.

The value differentiation door can swing both ways. It only costs 10 cents to replace a 1916 dime minted in Denver. But it’s actual value, i.e., how much money you can get for it, can be as high as $41,000.

It might require $4,000 to replace that Corolla with whatever is on the used market right now, but if you try to sell it for $4,000 you’ll get nowhere fast.