1995 Mercedes Benz E320 Vacuum hose removal/replacement

Clamp from a different angle.

In the meantime, does anyone know what this part is (I think it is a vacuum line)IMG_2285

Another image of what I believe is the vacuum line

Itā€™s the tube next to the oil dipstick. It was so brittle that I accidentally broke it when working next to the intake manifold. Some links for possible replacements would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again guys youā€™ve all been a great help.

p.s. I am just starting out but got the incentive to do this project as I found this https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Mercedes-W124/50-ENGINE-Head_Gasket_Replacement/50-ENGINE-Head_Gasket_Replacement.htm and my buddy knows about cars a lot more than I do.

those are very good instructions . . .

but they donā€™t tell you the correct way to line up the timing, near as I can tell

Iā€™m going to do you a HUGE favor now

go to startekinfo.com

now click on MB workshop resources

now click on service manual library

now click on model 124 service library

now click on disc 1

now select your model type and model year

now select engine manual

itā€™s cumbersome to use, but itā€™s essentially a cut-and-paste of the old paper service manuals

2 Likes

Wow many thanks!! I owe you big time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those are commonly used hose clamps found in cars. And they can be really frustrating to work with if all you have is the normal slip joint pliers. ā€œSlipā€ is the operative word ā€¦ lol ā€¦ There is a special tool which makes the job considerably easier. I donā€™t have a source for that tool however, I wish I did, but your local auto parts store probably can help you find one if the dealership canā€™t.

To obtain generic replacement hoses , I just take the old one to an auto parts store. Those stores usually stock a variety of hoses. If the hose makes contact with gasoline or gasoline vapors, be sure to tell the parts store staff, b/c that requires a special variety of rubber hose.

I own a 47 year old Ford truck and one thing I do to keep it on the road as a reliable runner is replace all the rubber hoses every 7-10 years, whether they appear to need to be replaced or not. I also swapped out all the spring hose clamps to worm drive. Suggest you consider to do that as part of your project. Best of luck.

I think Bing is from Minnesota, the cold acts as a preservative.

3 Likes

Somehow that seems a little Creepy !

1 Like

Bingā€™s other secret

2 Likes

Have you ever had lutefisk? Itā€™s pretty good! Very tasty. Weird texture. Iā€™ve never had the tv-dinner version. Thereā€™s a deli in Berkeley thatā€™s my lutefisk source.

All I gotta say is Uff da. I couldnā€™t eat that stuff. Around here the men at some of the churches have a lutefisk supper once a year. Smells the whole church up. The interesting part is that real Norwegians still in Norway donā€™t like it either. I think maybe it was a trick that all the newcomers had to eat was rotten cod and just convinced everyone it was good. Iā€™m not a big fan of sauerkraut either.

1 Like

Grew up in Minneapolis, but never happened to have the opportunity to try it. I would try it, but then I want to try haggis too. Yeah, Iā€™m like that. ExceptI will never try balut.