1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Cost to restart a car that has sat

Will my jeep Need everything to fix it up its been
setting in The storage Had it Sense 2009 So just wan to know how much its gonna cost.

Welcome to the forum…

No way to give you a cost, too many variables… We don’t know the condition it was in before it was stored, what was done in order to store it… How many miles are on it, what engine or if RWD or 4WD???

To start, probably need drain all the fuel and clean the tank out and the fuel lines before starting it… Change at least the engine oil, best to replace all the fluids…

Tires, no matter the condition, are at least 14 years oil and most likely much older, so replace them… No idea the cost as it all depends on what size, type and cheap, good, better or best you go with… Just remember that tires can/will make or break a vehicle and it’s performance and ride quality…

If you don’t know the condition of the brakes and suspension then they need to be checked and addressed if needed, and don’t forget about the front trac bar very common to go bad on Jeeps with that style trac bar…

Check the ignition parts for corrosion, cap rotor wires and what the plugs look like, if you are going to remove to look, might as well replace them all…

Mice, rats, squires, rabbits etc love to eat wires, hoses and make nest in dormant vehicles, so look for any damage as well as nest in the intake air tubes and filter area…

Check the coolant system for leaks and signs of damage and wear…

I’m sure I missed a few things as I am not looking at your Jeep…

The best thing to do is make you a list and mark it off as you do the checks and repairs…

Between $1500 and $15,000 depending its condition when it was stored, where you live and whether you can do any of the work yourself.

5 Likes

After doing the above, before attempting to start, pull all the spark plugs out, squirt an ounce or two of light oil such as Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder, leave the plugs out, attempt to rotate engine using a socket wrench on the crankshaft. If the engine rotates freely, with the plugs still out, crank the engine with the starter until oil pressure is up. Then reinstall plugs and start the motor. BTW, oil will spray out of the spark plug holes.

3 Likes

On the optimistic side, all you may need to do is charge the battery w/a battery charger and clean off all the dirt and dust, it may crank and start right away. I wouldn’t do it that way myself, the above approaches are better, less likely to cause problems on re-start, like clogging the fuel system, breaking a stuck piston ring, engine bearing problems, etc, but just saying if you are lucky, it might not be as difficult as you think.

If your Jeep was being stored in a damp area, not protected from rain/snow, or on ground that got wet when it rained, you may find serious corrosion problems, so take a look what’s going on underneath, checking especially for rust problems.Hopefully it was stored in a dry garage.