1995 Jaguar XJ6

For more then a year now I have been trying to figure out why my 1995 Jaguar XJ6 (107,000 miles) does not hold idle. Every time the engine quits, the check engine light comes on. This does not happen all the time. Many times I will drive the car for a week or two, without any problem, (normal idle of 650 RPM) then the car stalls. I took the car to the dealer for diagnosis; here is what they found: “107393 check engine light is on for fault codes for O2 sensors ruined by engine oil leak in cat converter seal—did not verify idle or stalling problem at this time but these things could contribute”. Their cost of repair was beyond what the car is worth and may not solve the problem, since they indicated (things could contribute). With the diagnostic paper I went to my mechanic, he replaced (2) O2 valves and a engine valve cover gasket for a reasonable price. The car still has the same problem except when the engine quits the check engine light doesn?t come on. My daughter (new driver) drove the car and almost got into an accident when she lost the power brakes after the engine quit. I am driving the car now with both legs. I am holding the RPM with my right leg, to keep the engine from stalling. The engine otherwise runs smooth and will start without a problem after it stalls. The car is in great condition and worth fixing. I post my problem online without any solid solution to solve the problem.

So far no one can pin point where the problem is coming from, including the dealer and my mechanic. After all it is just a car and it can be fixed if we can stop guessing and find out the source of the problem.

You might find someone with your same problem on a Jaguar-specific forum. Google Jaguar XJ forum, see what you find.

Take careful note of HOW the engine stalls. Does it stumble, or run rough, before it stalls? Does it stall suddenly, without any warning? Is electrical power lost to anything the moment before it stalls?

The RPM slowly goes down, then the engine quit everything else works fine no other issues showing. It does not happen all the time, but now it is very often.