1995 C1500 Suburban (diesel)

Felt like the transmission started to slip. And then it slowly started to “idle dwn while driving”. thought maybe out of fuel, so i filled it up. When i turned out of the Gas station it died. about 20 mins later, it started up but still didnt seem to run at full strength. No egine lights on or anything, light all still worked fine, just the egine shut off on me. Any ideas? thanks.

Well, since diesels don’t have spark plugs we can rule out an ignition system problem. That leaves fuel delivery or metering.

I guess the best place to begin would be to check the fuel pump pressure. Include a check of the fuel pressure regulator while you’re doing the diagnostic work.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should tell you that while I do understand how diesels work, I’m not a diesel guy. Diesel guys will likely have more specific and probably more useful information.

When is the last time you changed the fuel filter(s) ?? How many miles on the vehicle?

I just bought this two weeks ago and its at 200,000 so i expect there to be issues just need to know where to start.

I would first check fuel filter and look for possible fuel contamination, since diesel fuel is particularly prone to breaking down and clogging filters.

http://www.mydieseldoctor.com/FAQ.html

Start by checking the fuel filter and fuel line pressure.

Thanks guys!