1994 Landcruiser Advice

I am looking at purchasing a 1994 Toyota Landcruiser. It’s in very good shape cosmetically (I’ve yet to drive it), but has 166,000 miles on it. The owner wants $8,000. My wife, who will be driving it most often, travels about 50 miles a day to and from work and to take our daughter to the babysitter. Will this car hold out?

Is the price okay? Thanks in advance, R

The Landcruiser is a very sturdy vehicle. The last time I was in one was in Algeria in a Sahara desert sandstorm. However at 50 miles per day, you will spend a lot of money on gas. Unless you live in an area with long winters and lots of snow, this is NOT A GOOD VEHICLE FOR COMMUTING. When you do get repairs they will be very expensive. For commuting and taking the your daughter to the babysitter, any compact car will do. The best small cars are Toyota Echo/Yaris, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Mazda 323& Protege, Chevy GeoPrizm. Any of these of the same age as the Landcruiser will be well priced and much more economical to operate. If you live on a ranch in Colorado there might be a rationale for the Landcruiser.