1994 Honda Accord Station Wagon is Jumpy at 3000 rpm

I have a 1994 Honda Accord Station Wagon. It has about 230,000-240,000 miles on it (odometer is broken). At 3000 rpms and 65-70 mph, the rpms jump. it will go from 3000 to 3250 then to 3000. It seems to only do this at this speed. If I am going 45, never does it. If I am going over 70 it seems to stop as well. I never seem to drive 55, so I’m not sure if it happens at 55. I don’t know why this is happening and it makes me worry. I love this car and have had it a long time. Can anyone tell me what’s going on and how much it will cost to fix? And if it can be done by an amateur like me?

I am going to be replacing the timing belt (and water pump, pcv valve, cam seal, and 2 external belts the mechanic said) soon as well. I was quoted $555 for this, which seems reasonable I think (correct me if I am wrong).

If this car has an automatic transmission (you didn’t say) it sounds like the lock-up torque converter is locking and unlocking. How does the transmission fluid look? When was the last time it was changed?

$555 is a reasonable price for timing belt job on this car.

It is an automatic (sorry I didn’t mention this). I have no idea how the transmission fluid looks or when it was last changed. I topped it up last summer. What am I looking for there? I will check it tonight. Would the lock-up torque converter locking and unlocking be fixed by changing trans fluid?

There is no down side to changing the fluid. It should be done every 30K miles or so, since it’s the life blood of the transmission.

Check the fluid with the engine running and the transmission at normal operating temperature. Shift the transmission slowly into each gear, one at a time, then finally into PARK and check the fluid level. It should be full on the dipstick and a clear pink color.

If it’s dirty or smells burnt, change it. Since you have no idea when it was last changed, change it.

Let your mechanic do it in conjunction with the timing belt job.

It might not make any difference, but it can’t hurt.

Thanks.