1994 cutlass ciera engine problems

I have a 1994 cutlass ciera that is having problems starting. The engine turns over just fine, it just doesn’t start. I took it to a mechanic and he said that it is the fuel pump. Is anyone familiar with reapiring the fuel pump on the a 94 cutlass? If so, how diificult would it be? Mechanic said it would be upwards of $700 to fix. Looking for some assistance. Thanks.

The fuel pump is located in the gas tank. If there’s no access the fuel pump from outside vehicle, the gas tank has to be dropped in order to replace the fuel pump.

Tester

Did the mechanic say why he thought it was the fuel pump?

Can you hear the pump priming the fuel system when you turn the key on for a couple of seconds? It’s like a buzzing sound.

If you’re not sure if you can hear it from the drivers seat (usually you can), remove the gas cap and with a helper turning the key from OFF to the ON position only, listen at the gas filler pipe for the pump priming.

I hope the fault isn’t with the lack of spark.

In the meantime here’s something you can do yourself.

First, remove the air intake off the throttle body.

Take a can of gas engine starter fluid, have a helper turn the key and crank the engine over.
While the engine is turning over, spray a short burst of starting fluid into the throttle body.

If the engine starts then dies you’ll know it is a fuel supply fault. Perhaps just a plugged fuel filter, bad fuel pressure regulator, etc.

If, after spraying starter fluid the engine doesn’t fire up, you likely will have a no spark situation.

I will try it and let you know what I make out. I just had the fuel pump replaced about 2.5 years ago. I thought to start with simple reapirs like replacing the fuel filter. But I like the idea of some troubleshooting.

The fuel pump will run only two second EACH time the ignition switch is turned to RUN, or less if the fuel pump has an automatic pressure cut-off built into it. A fuel pressure test gage should be used AFTER a new fuel filter is installed. Don’t forget the possibility of a defective fuel pressure regulator.