1994 Acura Integra

In June the brake light started going on and off and when you applied the brakes the pedal seemed to automatically pump and make a slight noise. Acura dealer did complete brake flush and installed new rear brake pads. 6 months later am having the same problem, any suggestions as to problem or repairs. Only 47,000 miles mint condition like new. Thanks

Does this buggy have ABS?

yes, it has ABS

“the same mountainbike” asked the right question.

In June the brake light started going on and off and when you applied the brakes the pedal seemed to automatically pump and make a slight noise.

Key words “automatically pumping” point to the electronic chip that electronically “automatically” creates the ABS on and off (and on and off, etc.) action of the ABS (automatic braking system). It would seem the dealer did not fix (i.e. replace the electronics module and/or the sensor) what was most likely wrong when you first took the car in.

Perhaps the dealer’s man couldn’t reproduce the problem you described, which would not be all that unusual when there is an electronic problem. So, he/she fixed something related, but was not the actual problem. At 47,000 miles on a nearly 15 year old car, doing the flush and changing brake pads might well have been needed and helpful, but it didn’t attack the problem you went in to fix. Suggest you get the ABS electronic parts replaced. It seems that this is an “intermittent” problem.

Thanks for the help, can this problem be handled by a reputable mechanic or does it have to go the dealer. Dealer is very inconvenient to get to and from,plus the car is there for 3 or 4 days.
Also, do you have an approximate cost?

This website has a dandy look-up for good mechanics who are located close to your area code. These mechanics have numbers of user written recommendations that can help you pick out someone you feel is good. That gives you a big leg up in the process. Call a few (more than two, so you can test variability in cost) and ask each one if they can do the work and how much they estimate they might charge. If the car has to go to the dealer, you can be sure an independent mechanic will tell you.

There are some parts for my 1994 Celica that I can only get directly from Toyota (i.e., not at an auto parts house), or an authorized agent, but so far there hasn’t been a part that I haven’t been able to purchase without having the dealer mechanic install it. I don’t know if this observation generalizes, sorry; I wish I did know. But the point is, if I was permitted to buy any part and install it myself, then I would know that an independent mechanic could also.