1992 Toyota Not Running

Hi, my Dad has a 1992 Toyota Pick-up with a 22RE engine it is a 2 wheel drive automatic. The truck stopped running while idling, he did code tests on it and they came up clear. He can get it to run on propane but not on gas. He did change all the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and spark plug wires. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have a question. Has this truck been converted to run on propane? I would check the fuel pressure first, since it runs on propane. More than likely the fuel pump or power to the pump.

It hasnt been converted. He was just working to see what was the problem. Changed the fuel pump, thanks.

There is a relay that drives the pump.

If a vehicle has not been modified to run on propane how do you do it? Could it be that it was made to run on starting fluid and confusion in the conversation?

We can get it started but it wont keep running.

If you can get the engine to run with starter fluid or by squirting propane in the air intake but stops as soon as you take it away you have a fuel delivery problem. Start by checking the fuel pump, fuel filter etc.

I know you can squirt starting fluid but propane tanks ( even the small torch type) are they not on or off by a valve? Using one to make a car run doesn’t sound safe.

My work truck is a dual fuel vehicle, cng or regular petrol. The manual says every other tank should be regular gasoline. I am not sure what delivery method is being used for the propane, but myself would stick with starting fluid with upper cylinder lubricant.

+1 to Steve’s post.

Volvo, the valve only turns the flow of gas (propane) on or off. An ignition source, such as a spark, is necessary to add the heat energy to begin the combustion process.

I’m not personally comfortable using propane to test an engine for a fuel delivery problem, but a lot of people do and I cannot justify my discomfort technically. The propane is blowing out under pressure and must be vaporized and mix with oxygen to combust, and there shouldn’t be any way the propane in the tank can explode. Explosions happen when a volatile fuel is vaporized in oxygen, such as the gasoline-saturated sir in the empty gas tank space, and then an ignition source is added. Theoretically (DO NOT TEST THIS) a tank of gasoline filled to the brim will burn like a blowtorch if lit with a match but not explode. It’s the gasoline vaporized into the empty space that’s the problem. It burns and expands extremely rapidly, creating pressure sufficient to cause a catastrophic failure of the container (an explosion).

Oddly, I feel perfectly comfortable using propane for plumbing and other uses, and have done so often whenever appropriate. My discomfort in using it to test an engine for fuel loss is a personal quirk, entirely illogical. I must be human. :smile:

Mr. Mountain bank I read your post and I can see how the propane might work. But since I don’t like loud noise or explosions if I am near someone doing that I will vacate the area quickly.

Me too. :smile:

TSM I agree, I am uncomfortable shooting propane into the intake of a car, the tank won’t explode, but since there is already a problem with the car there may be a back fire that will light up all the propane in the air intake. A can of starting fluid (ether) will turn off as soon as your finger releases from the button, you have to turn the valve of the propane cyl off, potentially leaving a few seconds of extra propane floating around.

Good point Steve; the ether can has a “dead man’s switch”! :yum: Except it turns off when released instead of on.