1990 windstar tranny leak?

i have problems with my van when i hit the gas it stutters and it takes 3 seconds to kick in and go, then it will only go about 10 miles per hour, then the transmission with finally switch gears into second or third. and some times it takes almost 1 mile to switch gears. it sounds like a stick shift when u need to change gears, but it wont change gears, plz help

This begs the obvious question, have you pulled the transmission’s dipstick and checked the fluid level, engine running, in park? Is the fluid red, or brown? Does it smell somewhat like burned toast?

my van broke last night, it turns on but when i try to move it all it dose is blow smoke out of the tale pipe. it smells like burning rubber/oil, i just checked the fluid in the tranny and it is pink, and there is a small puddle of the same pink fluid under my van. do u think i have a loose hose or something?

Are you certain about the year of your Windstar because Ford didn’t make a Windstar in 1990. The Windstar didn’t come along until about 1995. The 1990 Ford minivan was rear wheel drive and called an Aerostar.

In any event you may have a leaking line from the transmission to the transmission cooler in the radiator. This will keep the car from moving.

sorry you were right my van is a 1998 windstar, it has 300,000 miles on it. is a leaking line easy to fix? can i buy the parts and do it myself?

If you do have a leaking line, it isn’t an expensive repair. It’s more like a plumbing problem. I don’t know your skill level, but if you can do simple plumbing, you can probably replace the line. However, you do have to have a lift to get under the vehicle. The repair of a leaking line isn’t that costly if that is the problem.

Can you elaborate on the blowing of smoke out of the tailpipe? Are you sure that it is smoking out of the pipe? Or might it be from somewhere else? What color is the smoke? Honestly, it sounds to me like you just need to have someone who is knowledgeable take a look to see what is going on. If you are blowing smoke from the tail pipe, a leaky transmission might be the least of your worries.