1990 toyota celica gts

GIVEN TO ME BY MY DAUGHTER AND TRYING TO RESTORE TO ORIGINAL CONDITION. HAVE HAD THE TRANSMISSION REPLACED (PAID $1500), HAVE PUT AN ADDITIONAL $$3,000 IN IT FOR VARIOUS OTHER REPAIRS(SOME MAJOR - SUNROOF, FRONT AXLE, MOTOR MOUNTS- OTHERS MINOR). QUESTION IS WHEN DO I STOP PUTTING MONEY INTO THIS VEHICLE? (I LOVE DRIVING IT WHEN IT IS NOT IN THE SHOP) (IT HAVE TO HAVE THE L REAR PANEL REPLACE - FENDER BENDER- AND WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THE CAR REPAINTED DUE TO OVERCOAT PEELING AND FADDED COLOR).

DAVID

You did not say how many miles on it. I would have it inspected by a good mechanic, if it has a timing belt make sure it has been replaced within the specified time. If you have more mechanical issues, then add up the cost to finish any mechanical issues and desired cosmetic issues and decide. There is no reason that car can’t go well over 200,000 miles economically.

Remember, now is your starting point.  What money has been spent is not part of the calculation.  Also remember if you decide to sell it, no buyer is going to be willing to pay you for repairs that may have been made.  You should only consider the cost of future repairs (not maintenance as you will have that with any car).  Remember that a new car comes at a high cost or the cost of many payments.   With this car the future repairs are not likely to come near the cost of payments on a new car.  

I know I am a pest about it, but ALL CAPS are difficult to read.  Using standard case and paragraph spacing makes messages much easier to read.  Making them easier to read means more people will read it and you are more likely to get a good answer.

You have already thrown lots of money into it, there must be some love of this car.

I would stop when you no longer get your satisfaction out of it as the money will never come back to you in resale(EVER).

I have to say I absolutely loved one of my past loves in colleges Celica All-Trac turbo. What an incredible car that she really did not care much about the fun to drive factor. I finally got my equivalent 10 years later and love it Subaru WRX.

About 2005 I would have stopped. You can put as much as you want into it and it could be worth it.

I have about 136,000 miles on the car. I Beside the exterior, the last major expense I am thinking about it on the suspension; it rides a little “hard” and my mechanic told me that the only improvement might be in replacing the springs because they “sag” over time. I might add that the original owner had all the wistles and bells added to the car including the “system 10” cd/cassette 10 speaker stereo system. I would like to buy an All Trace model, but this one will have to do.
The best thing it that when I am finished, it could be a “show” car unless I decide to “mod” the car.
David
P.S. As per advice to one of the folkes that replied, I used lower case for easier-on-the-eye reading.

The car is 19 years old, and not worth the money you’ve already thrown at it. And, if you keep it much longer, you’ll continue to throw more money at it for various other things that will continue to break due to age, since most of the individual parts were never designed to last this long. If it cannot survive on a little more than basic maintenance costs, to me it’s a goner. I’d dump it in a heartbeat. IMHO, it was not worth the new transmission, much less the sunroof. And, there is no good reason to try and fix the little things to restore this car. It has no value to back it up. Maybe in another 19 years, but not now. Drive it until something else big breaks, then let it get towed away to recycling.

And that is coming from a guy who owns a '92 Celica. Mine has 330,000 miles on it (mostly highway commuting), and I’ve never had to do a major repair. The closest I’ve come is the third clutch that is in it. But, as mentioned earlier, these are general maintenance items, figured into the cost of ownership. If a repair crops up that requires $1,500 or more, it will go good-bye.

Well, I am the point of no return since I have put so much money in it all ready. I look at it as my project car now, not really expecting any kind of resale return. I would like to continue to maintain it (with the exception of the engine quitting on me) as long as possible. I am going to save up the money for the body repair and new paint job since it will be a major expense that I cannot justify all at one time (I think my wife would leave me).

Since this is turning into a project car, I’d suggest you research and find books and learn to do the body work yourself. This is typically time consuming, but not expensive toolwise, although it can be if you go too gung-ho. And, look for a place that can do cheap paint jobs, like Macco(sp?). They were advertising a single color, single stage paint job for $300 last summer.

I’m serious about one thing. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Old cars can turn into serious money pits if your not careful. And, your already on your way. Another thing to let you know, is you may want to become friendly with a junkyard or two. We have some you-pull-it junk yards down here in the southeast that can save you a lot of money. I frequent them a lot. I purchased an inner door skin for the car last month to replace a torn one. Found the exact match, and it cost me $15.

YEAH, WE HAVE SEVERAL OF THOSE IN MY AREA. YOU PAY A DOLLAR TO GET IN AND PULL THE ITEMS YOURSELF. HOWEVER THEY WON’T LET YOU BRING IN ANY “TORCH” EQUIPMENT AND THERE WAS A TOYOTA BODY THAT HAD A UNDAMAGED REAR LEFT PANEL THAT I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO CUT AND USE TO REPLACE THE DAMAGED PANEL ON MY CELICA (THE COLOR MATCHED AS WELL!). I’LL CONTINUE TO UPDATE ON MY PROGRESS AS SOON AS I GET MY CAR BACK!(THE MECHANIC IS STILL TRYING TO RESET THE AIR BAG IN THE STEERING WHEEL AFTER HE REPLACED THE SWITCH FOR THE WINDSHIELD WIPER; I THINK THAT HE IS WAITING FOR WARMER WEATHER TO DO SO).

UPDATE ON MY CELICA. WELL I AM FINALLY GETTING IT BACK FROM THE REPAIR SHOP AFTER A ALMOST 6 MONTH HIATIS (THERE WAS A MINOR PROBLEM - THEY HAD TROUBLE RESETTING THE AIR BAG IN THE STERRING WHEEL). MY QUESTION IS: MY CD/CASSETTE STEREO PLAY GREAT WHEN PLAYING THE RADIO, HOWEVER WHEN I PUT IN A CD OR CASSETTE THERE IS NO SOUND COMING FROM THE SPEAKERS; I KNOW THEY ARE PLAYING CAUSE I CAN HEAR VERY FAINT MUSIC FROM THE CD SLOT WHEN I INSERT A CD AND THE CASSETTE IS RUNNING WHEN I PUT IT IN. ANY CLUES AS TO WHAT IT COULD BE?

Age, wear, something broken. Get an aftermarket replacement radio. I no longer use cassettes (who does?), so I have a Clarion CD/Radio in my Celica that is giving me great sound, and I only paid $97 dollars for it!! You may want to replace the speakers at some point as well. Jensen and Sony make 4" replacement speakers that fit Toyotas perfectly. I used then both in my Celica and Hi-Lux Pick-up

P.S. As per advice to one of the folkes that replied, I used lower case for easier-on-the-eye reading.

Thanks.