1988 Volvo 240DL sedan

According to my Volvo experts, 1) the driveshaft must be rebuilt to replace three u joints, center support bearing/bushing; 2) the broken transmission shift down cable must be replaced. I can’t afford both repairs right now. In order to have a car, can I get away with having only no. 1 done now, placing no. 2 on hold?

If the transmission down shift cable is not working, you will certainly have to replace it if you want the car to shift right.

Rebuilding the drive shaft is not a major undertaking, as I recall, but it can be expensive if the yoke or drive shaft are worn. You have to remove the rear part of the driveshaft by unbolting it at the differential. Then pull it out of the center bearing. Unbolt the front half of the drive shaft and then remove the bolts holding the center support bearing. Then you can pull the yoke out and see if it or the driveshaft is worn. If it is, you will need to replace the affected part. If the bearing is bad, it can be replaced. The u-joints are replaced like any car. Be certain when you put the yoke back in the drive shaft that the ears are in the same plane and the splines are properly lubricated.

If it’s not just the u-joints and/or center bearing, you might consider looking around for a used one. Also check in at volvoforums.com.

Sadly, it’s still a question of money. Can the cable replacement be delayed for a while without damage to the transmission?

Sadly, it’s still a question of money. Can the cable replacement be delayed for a while without damage to the transmission?

Can you downshift and upshift it manually? If so, you probably can drive it as long as you want to. Replacing this cable shouldn’t be that expensive, however. Check around at an independent shop.

It’s an automatic, gives a jolt when it’s put in reverse and chews at the bit till the car reaches about 35 mph. The Volvo mechanic is charging $301. Your advice is very much appreciated.