1988 Caddy DeVille vs. 85 Eldorado Biarritz

I have an 88 Deville with the 4.5 liter and 127K. I drove an 85 Eldorado with rebuilt 4.1 with 3K. My 88 is light, quick, surprisingly fast and nimble, steers with one finger. Quick acceleration – smooth ride – pleasure to drive and actually “fun.” The 85 Eldo I drove was none of the above. Shouldn’t it be better than the Deville? Could it have been the specific car I drove, or were all Eldos such poor drivers and handlers (though they are beautiful cars!)… This car was slow, acceleration was virtually non-existent, felt like I was pulling a trailer, and noisy. I have driven only one Eldo, so that’s why I am asking. Thanks for your input.

Not only are these different models, they’re also three years apart. And after 20+ years every vehicle will take on its own characteristics. No two will run or feel the same.

99% of what it feels and drives like at that age will be determined by the life it led, the maintenance it received (or not), and a whole bunch of other factors. The only way to do a comparison would be to drive both after a full, body-off restoration with totally rebuilt motors…and even that wouldn’t really be fair.

A friend has two excellent (almost mint) '76 Eldos, both all-original fully-papered. They both even have Coker tires. One is a droptop, the other a hardtop. They both drive differently. Both great, but both differently.

Just as my brother and I have the same gene pool and he’s bald and I have a full head of hair, two cars will age differently.

Haven’t we been around this bush before, oldsfan? Maybe you can find another one and drive it, or at least be driven by the owner to see if the two cars behave the same way. Since these cars were highway cruisers, it is probably the specific car. If you are thinking about buying it, you should get it checked thoroughly by a mechanic to see what they think.

“Rebuilt” by WHO?? With a 4.1, even a GM crate motor would be marginal. These model years (81-87) were all POS and they are best left to the crusher and smelter…The '88 Deville at least shows the beginnings of a decent car, but at 127K miles, it’s best years are behind it…You don’t rebuild these things…Just let them pass quietly and move on. Go down to your local Caddy dealer and ask to drive a V-8 CTS. If that overwhelms you, see how a V-6 fits you…

I’d ask to take the CTS-V out for spin :slight_smile:

I was lucky enough to get to try a 2009 CTS with the 6 speed manual. I loved it. Changed my mind on owning 1) domestic car 2) Cadillac

I don’t know who rebuilt the motor in the Eldo, but I did see receipts. There are some people who really like older cars. I am one of those people. I am a big fan of the 80’s Cadillac models, and I know some people don’t like those cars. I like them because they bring back a great time in my life and they are, in my opinion, beautiful. It’s worth it to me to find a nice model and enjoy it on the weekend. I appreciate the advice about the new Caddies — but I prefer the older ones - at least right now in my life I do.

I think I am really asking should there be that much difference in power and acceleration between a 4.5 car and a 4.1 Caddy.

I also enjoy an '89 Allante, which, overall, has been a decent car…But not without its troubles. Built on an Eldo platform, shortened 20 inches, with an aluminum Pina Farina body, Ricaro seats, taunt suspension, this car is a lot of fun to drive. But if it’s complex electronics or Micky Mouse Bosch anti-lock brakes mess up, you better be able to deal with it yourself because nobody else will touch it…

And you owe yourself the pleasure of driving a CTS. It won’t cost you anything…it will restore your faith in American Iron…

I’ve enjoyed the CTS as a rental car several times. But pass on the CTS-V unless you’ve had driving classes for race cars or experience racing cars. At 556 HP and 551 lb-ft of torque, it is stupid fast and very easy to get overwhelmed. A magnificent car, but very dangerous. The host of Supercars Exposed drove one for the show and said that anyone that buys it should have to take a driving class before getting the keys.