1980 Volvo convertible

On a recent show re-airing (Aug 4th in Burlington, VT), A lady from Seattle told of her boyfriend turning her 1980 Volvo 144 into a convertible. Tom and Ray advised getting the body reinforced asap. Thay also asked for pictures. Did she ever send pictures in and could they be posted on the website?

Sorry, my first search this morning could not find yesterdays posting so this is a duplicate.

Please reply to yesterday’s original.

Sorry - new user and just got new fingers!

Your original post is indeed there. All you have to do is to use the “search” function. Anyway, since I replied to your original query, I have copied my response below for your convenience:

[b]Nope.

Her jerky boyfriend took a Sawzall and just cut the roof pillars and removed the roof. Aside from the safety factor, it would just seem that a car with no roof of any kind is…a bit impractical in rainy Seattle.

As Tom & Ray pointed out (indirectly), the roof and pillars formed part of the structural reinforcement for the entire car, hence the car is absolutely unsafe to drive. They suggested welding a 4 inch thickness of I-beam across the car, behind the rear seats, in order to make it safe. I would question whether that jury-rigged solution would be sufficient to make the car structurally sound. But, in any event, between the amateur job on the roof and the placement of an I-beam in the rear seating area, I’m sure that the car would be a true sight to behold.
[/b]