1976 Super Beetle Will Not Start. ='(

Okay. My Dad finally let me take his 1976 Super Beetle that has been sitting in his garage for the past 10 years or so. Now I did drive it a couple years ago and everything seemed fine then.

The battery is charged and the engine turns over but won’t fire. I took off the air box and sprayed some starter fluid in there and tried again and it fires right up and runs for a few seconds on the starter fluid.

So I’m thinking that fuel isn’t getting to the engine. I know the fuel pump is behind the right front axle. But I’m still not sure what kind of fuel system this car has.

Is it the same as the CIS on my 89 VW Fox? It doesn’t look the same and I don’t have the money for a manual.

Is there a fuel pump relay hiding somewhere I just am not seeing?

I’m going to get under it with a test light today to see if the fuel pump is even getting power.

Any help/advice/ideas on this will be greatly appreciated! I hope I don’t have to buy a new fuel pump… they are expensive… >.<

You have an old fuel problem. Dump the gas in the tank, clean the carb and go from there.

It doesn’t have a carburetor I don’t think… I’m pretty sure it is fuel injected… I wish I knew! Perhaps I will try dumping the tank though. First I gotta see if the fuel pump is getting power or not I think. Is there a way that I could clean the system out easily or do I have to pull all the injectors? Such a pain in the butt!

Use Wikipedia and read about the car,I know you have a computer. Unless your car has been modified it is fuel injected,and not CIS. Read a little and come back and ask me some questions about the fuel injection it does have

I agree; if this fuel is several years old it will never run. Drain as much as possible and add fresh gas.

Considering the age of the car, a failing fuel pump is a distinct possibility and yes, there is a pump relay.
If need be, run a hot jumper wire to the pump and see what happens.

Do you have any idea where the relay is located? I can’t find a single relay under the dash, all I see is fuses. Thank you.

I don’t know where your relay is located but Rock Auto has them on closeout for under $17.

Look for the relay behind the back rest of the rear seat.

I had a few beetles with fuel injection. I used to have trouble with the cold start valve, it was I think also called fifth injecter. It would spray fuel when starting and they do fail after time. Also don’t forget to change your fuel lines, so many vw’s have gone up in flames because of bad worn out fuel lines.

Thank you PvtPublic. I will have a closer look this weekend.

I’ll have to give that a look. I thought one of my Fox’s was having a problem with it’s cold start valve too but it was working fine. I really should just buy a manual for the car huh? =(

If it starts on starting fluid but won’t keep running, do you think it is still the cold start injector?

That is kinda a good point…

Use Wikipedia and read about the car,I know you have a computer. Unless your car has been modified it is fuel injected,and not CIS. Read a little and come back and ask me some questions about the fuel injection it does have
seo services