1974 Monte Carlo

I have a beautiful ORIGINAL mint condition low low mileage 1974 monte Carlo won some shows also what is the worth if I sold

Buy a copy of Hemmings Motor News, which is available at Barnes & Noble book stores, and some other large news stands. The classified ads will give you a good idea of how much a car like this is selling for currently.

And, if you want to advertise this car, Hemmings will give you a national audience of old car enthusisasts looking at your ad, which gives you a much bigger customer base than if you only list the car locally. Folks who want to buy an older car will frequently travel a couple of thousand miles in order to find the right one.

what is the worth if I sold

The simple answer is, it is worth exactly what some one is willing to pay for it.

I took a quick look at ebay, no '74s for sale, only one ‘completed listing’ for a super clean one, sold for $17k. But one sale doesn’t say a lot.

My guide shows about 13-15k at most but a lot depends on the buyer and the options on the car. If it has a 454 under the hood then it’s rare and worth considerably more.

This era of Monte Carlo was not considered part of the muscle generation due to being underpowered and littered with smog devices.
For what it’s worth, I used to own a '74 with a 350. Decent driver at best but nothing to get excited about.

It does have a 454 how much do u think

These were nice cars to look at from a distance. Up close they were ungainly, with enormous doors. A friend had one and it got a lot of looks. However the driveability was no great shakes; these were pre-catalytic converter engine management systems and the gas mileage was awful, even with thew small engine. The 454 got about 8 mph city and 12 highway!.

Many of these models also had the infamous seatbelt interlock, where you could not start the car unless your belt was on. This also applied to your dog or the bag of groceries on the front seat. Congress quickly killed this feature.

A guy down the street has just restored the Olds version of that car.

You don’t want to own this car as a daily driver.

Here’s one for $12,500 with 129,000 miles.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/chevrolet/monte_carlo/1509969.html

The car in Hemmings looks just like the one I had except mine (only a 350) had the white top. The Hemmings car is also nowhere near original so that cuts the value some.

Value is in the eye of the beholder, but my guide shows value between 10 and 14 grand depending on whether it’s No. 1 or No. 2 car. Hardly any car outside of the Barrett auctions are No. 1 graded so being a low miles original would put it somewhere between the 1 and 2.

However, yours has the 454 so the guide says add 35% to that 10-14 grand. The only option more desireable version would be the 402 and that’s due to rarity, not engine power. Rare colors and interior trim can also add something to the value.

There should be a decent market for an original, low miles big block such as yours due to scarcity.
The dirt track race guys around here pretty much bought up, and crashed, all of that era of MC so there’s not many of them in this locale anymore.

It’s still all going to come down to the right buyer at the right time.

Put together a decent listing on eBay and it will sell for EXACTLY what it is worth. Most sellers use an unrealistically high “reserve price” and end up not selling their cars…Start the bidding at $500 and let the market decide what it is worth…If that worries you, have a shill ready to make that last bid but be ready to pay eBay’s fees on the phony sale…

@Caddyman I would be hesitant to list a car on ebay, due to number of scam buyers out there.

I looked that year up and had that strange sensation of seeing a car that was once incredibly common that I haven’t seen in many years. Like seeing a ghost. I knew approximately what the car looked like, just not the details. Google brought it right up, and bang, it’s the mid-seventies all over again. Like catching a few minutes of The Streets of San Francisco while channel surfing.

The seller can list his requirements. The seller controls the sale, not the buyer…A certified check works for sales over $10,000 as long as the issuing bank is open and the seller can call the bank and verify the validity of the check…(seller looks up the banks phone number himself, does NOT call the number printed on the check…) Selling “Classic Cars” for big bucks is a difficult and time consuming process…