1963 Dodge Dart

I’m in NE Ohio and have a 1963 Dodge Dart with about 90k original miles. It has a little rust, but spent 20 years in Arizona. the seats are a little stained, the rubber floor is shot and it has a few dings - but overall is pretty sharp… 2-door 170 - beige… Any idea how much it would be worth? Any suggestions for how I can get the most out of it, when I sell it later this year?

Didn’t we have a teacher who wanted one? :slight_smile:

Use Edmonds to get realistic true market value’s. Depending on condition and collectible status, you can always ask for more.

Good Luck!
Chase

Does Edmunds go back as far as the '60s with retail values? I never checked, but I thought that it was only for pricing used cars of the past couple of decades. I will have to take a look to see how far back their pricing goes.

Anyway–if I was trying to buy or sell a car of this vintage, I would spend time perusing the classified ads in Hemmings Motor News. There are more ads for classic and collectible cars in that publication than anywhere else.

Honestly, I didn’t even check…and now that you mention it…probably not.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/dart-buyers-guide.html

Not lots of info on price, but there IS lots of info.

I’d go look at ‘completed items’ on ebaymotors, you’ll get a good idea what people are actually willing to spend on this, as opposed what sellers ask.

My guess would be whatever scrap prices are in your area. Around here they are at 9 cents a pound.

Not quite. Lots of people collect older cars, and it’s worth a heck of a lot more than scrap.

Considering the legendary status of this car, I would say at least several thousand.

I think that if the Dart has reached legendary status, then that does not say much for the history of the american muscle car. Buy a real muscle car, like a 84 monte carlo ss.

The value will be whatever the market says but on average these cars are not worth as much as the later Darts with the Swinger or 340 options. I don’t see a 170 Dart being much worth more than a few thousand dollars and that’s to someone who really wants it.

I would also hardly consider a smog-era 84 Monte Carlo SS a real muscle car, and that includes both the 160ish HP U.S. model or the 265 HP Mexican version.
That statement is reminiscent of the Top Gear episode where Clarkson referred to the 305 powered 3rd gen Camaro as a muscle car also.
To think of these cars as being of the muscle variety one has to lower the bar a lot.

'63 Darts (clean ones) get bid up to $3,000 - $4,000. Yours has rust plus interior needing work, so make it $2,000 or so.

As for '84 Monte Carlo - first time I’ve ever heard that called a ‘muscle car’!

Texases is pretty close…It depends on how much rust is under those floor and trunk mats…If you can see any daylight, it’s $1000 tops…

He is right about the '84 Monte SS too…That would be a smog slug…

I agree with texases. The only car from the '80’s considered a muscle car is the Buick Grand National. Smog laws made a joke of everything else.

I use Hemming Motor News and Ebay to determine the going price for the '63 Dart. I used them to determine my restoration budget for my '62 Thunderbird.

A 1963 Dart is worth very little; there was nothing special about it. Even with the 4 barrel 273 engine it was not all that fast. My 1965 with the 2 barrel 273 engine had a top speed of just over 100 mph. And the brakes were terrible.

A friend of my son still has one in the family (a 1964) and it’s used as a “garden car”. They have a large “estate” and with the back seat removed it’s used to haul all sorts of things and keeps the family SUV clean.

Regardless of its muscle car status, it ought to be worth a few thousand to the right person if it doesn’t have any rust holes anywhere. It is a collectable car due to its age and increasing rarity, if nothing else.

An 84 Monte Carlo is not a very desirable collector car, except perhaps in select trailer parks.

That dude (acdcsngr) just needs to be ignored. Created an account today, made a few nasty comments in various threads, insulted everyone he could, and left. Good riddance.

Regardless of it’s actual cash value (book wise, etc), there are collectors out there for everything. A 63 dart will sell. Just use honesty in dealing with prospective customers, as after a trip to check it out, they’ll want to see exactly what was described.

Good luck, anyway!
Chase

There would be a bit of a demand for this car considering it’s a 2 door. It’s a Mopar and these kind of cars can be somewhat popular for engine upgrades.
The right motor, paint, and wheels can transform granny’s grocery getter into a pretty stunning looking car.

The problem with the Dart is that is has a notorious problem of rusting out prematurely. Especially the upper front fenders. If this car lived it’s whole life in NE Ohio…I’d be very surprised that it’s not rusted out. If the vehicle shows no sign of rust then it was probably repaired.

The problem with the rust issue is that it’s not confined to any one make. Down here in OK we’ve seen many northern cars of all makes and models that were absolutely rusted to oblivion even at 5 or 6 years of age.

Many of those rust buckets are bought on the cheap at auction, shipped south, and then slathered over with Bondo and a quicky paint job followed by reselling them to the unsuspecting who do not check them over first.
We had a 4 year old MN Subaru come into the shop and I could set the can of soda pop I had on top of the front tires; through the holes in the tops of the fenders.
Apparently that one had never seen a car wash at any time.

Muscle car? How silly. This is an economy, compact car, typically with the (legendary) slant six engine–which would routinely go 200,000 miles in a time when that was awesome. It had one of the highest reliabilities of cars of that time. It was the car the Russians copied when they wanted to design the taxis that were seen in Moscow for decades afterward.