1956 ford in line 6 valve sequence?

I don’t have a head so I can’t see what the sequence of the valves are from front to back. Does anyone know or have a pic of the inner part of the head I could see? Thanks -john

Look at the engine, where does the exhaust manifold mate with the front of the head? At the far front, or back behind the intake manifold attachment point? Where the exhaust manifold is, the exhaust valve is.

I believe the 223 Ford 6 is exh-int-int-exh-exh-int-int-exh-exh-int-int-exh from what I see in the pictures.

The exhaust manifold is at the very front of the motor and the intake comes in second behind that. Thank you!

@Mustangman - that doesn’t sound right, based on this pic. It looks like there are 4 intake runners:

That motor is identical to mine. Don’t suppose where you found that had the order did it?

I missed the 4th intake runner… my bad. I couldn’t see it in the picture I found

I’d guess the sequence pairs 2 intakes on the 2 center runners and a single at the rear.

So exh-int-exh-exh-int-int-exh-exh-int-int-exh-int-exh

I should have known if Chevy did it one way, Ford would choose another.

I think you’re right, it matches up with this manifold pic:

That picture makes me rethink again! Looks like only the center exhaust ports are paired. If those count as 2, the other 4 are single exhaust ports.

That doesn’t explain the intakes however, as at least 2 must be paired and they are exactly the same size as the other 2 ports.

so E - I - E - I - I - E - E - I - I - E - I - E ??

Yeah, I think that last one is right. Here is a 223 engine with the ports showing. 2 pairs of intakes ARE paired but they are the same size. They must be so far apart in the firing order that one cylinder doesn’t interfere with the other.

with the valve cover off it would seem somewhat obvious which port lines up with each valve.

OP doesn’t have the head.

Well I couldn’t imagine any reason to know the valve order other than to adjust the lifters so I felt I was missing something in the thread and jumped head first into shallow water. And now I’m very curious why the OP needs that info.

Me too. Odd question.

I don’t know the valve sequence, but the intake valves are usually the bigger of the two, and the firing sequence is often stamped into the intake manifold, if that is of any help. I’m pretty sure based on the photo provided by Texases above that’s the same engine that was in the car I drove as a teenager, a '62 Ford Galaxy. It’s a pretty good engine, easy to maintain. Mine had this characteristic where it would squeal like a greased pig, a very loud annoying squeal, when the engine was warm and driving slowly, like in parking lots. My car attracted a lot of attention, not the good kind … lol … later I figured out that the valve cover bolts had come a little loose, re-torqueing fixed the squeal. I don’t recall the battery being up there on the firewall tho. Here’s a photo I found of a 223 head, but not sure if it is a 56 or not.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Ford/1958/Service/01/1958FordGroup1/01-031.html