14 MPG in a 2000 Accord

Just bought a 2000 Accord V-6 EX coupe w/ 80k mi and I’ve been averaging 14.5 MPG in the city (where I do all my driving). What could be causing this? I don’t have a lead foot, and the car is rated at anywhere between 18-20MPG city depending on where you look.

To check for MPG in the city, they warm the car up and then drive in the city until the tank runs low. You don’t do that.

The engine coolant temperature sensor (cts) could be sending an “engine cold” signal to the engine computer even after the engine is warmed. The cts temperature indication can be read with a scan tool, or its resistance can be read with a voltmeter. If the engine computer gets a “cold” signal, it will continue to send a rich fuel mixture to the engine. A rich running engine has poorer mpg. Also, change the dirty air filter.

Tire presssure low? Look in owner’s manual and put in reccomended pressures. You might add 2-3 PSI more to make up for jump in gas prices in the last couple years. W/proper presssure tires have less rolling resistance than if pressure is too low; engine doesn’t have to work so hard and you get bettter MPG.

Why do you need a V6 in the city? SERIOUSLY. This seems like over-kill to me. However, I agree with hellokit. A faulty temp sensor or thermostat could cause this problem.

But I have to wonder; “Why do you need a V6 for city driving?” I have a 4-cylinder Accord, and it performs well in both city and highway driving. It will cruise at 75 mph for hours on end, and deliver 30+ mpg. In the city I get 26-28 mpg. Why do you feel the need for a V6 in the city?

Checked the tire pressure?
After that, if the CEL is not illuiminated, then drop by a local AutoZone and have them pull the codes. They will do this for you free.
If the tire pressure is fine and there are no codes then you need to consider your driving habits.

If your drive is only stop and go at traffic lights and you are stopped often at idle, then you could get only 14.5 MPG with everything functioning satisfactorily. The city mileage reported by the EPA is not necessarily derived under the same conditions that you use your car. You should certainly check your tire pressure and make sure the air cleaner is not clogged.

The MPG difference between a V6 and I4 Accord is not drastic. Something like 2-3MPG overall.

City driving varies greatly dependent on locale.

I too agree with the others who suggest that the fuel economy you report is a simple consequence of your normal driving pattern and it does not indicate that your car has any sort of problem. If you are ever able to take your Accord on a long interstate trip you should observe normal EPA highway mileage.

I’m with those who have stated that it may be simply the driving conditions you face rather than a problem with the car.

However, the maintenance/repair tips are good ideas regardless. You certainly want to get the most out of each precious gallon, right?

I took my wife’s XT6 in for service shortly after I first bought it used from a private party. My mechanic asked why I had bought the 6 cylinder version instead of the 4. My answer, “because that is what the guy was selling.” When buying used, the motor choice is already made by the previous owner. You can hardly insist on a swap, and if the rest of the car meets all your needs/wants, you probably take what is being offered or resign yourself to a longer search.

Tire pressure, as noted by other posters. Is the temp gauge coming at least a third the way up? Do you spend a lot of time warming up the engine when its cold outside? Do you get stuck in traffic jams?

Run the car at 60 mph on a highway and note the RPM’s, it should be less than 2500. Note if the transmission doesn’t shift smoothly or if it slips between gears.

One last thing, you need to measure the mileage over several tanks of gas.

The number of cylinders is not always the determining factor in fuel mileage. My V-8 Lincoln (about 2 tons +) gets about 17 MPG in normal city driving and with a light touch on the pedal I’ve squeezed 18-19 out of it.

My uncle commented about his new truck getting better mileage than his previous one. He traded a v6 silverado in for a v8 Siera and the Siera gets better mileage than his silverado. the gearing plays a part in that.

The XT6 motor was infinitely better than a plebian 4cyl used by those clunky wagons. Makes no sense putting a dog engine into a sporty(s) car.

I had an XT6 briefly (hit by plow) and absolutely loved it.

My point was that people sometimes buy what is available, and not make a conscious choice about which engine. I might specifically avoid some engines, but otherwise not worry if it’s a 4 or 6.

Absolutely correct in this case.